Unusual Auto-5 Magnum Barrel Marking?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by HKG3K, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Good work my friend! It appears that the barrel of my Centenary was made outside Belgium. What does, Made in Belgium mean then? Is it not misleading stamping on the barrel made in Belgium? May be we should interpret that as, this shotgun was made in Belgium with some foreign parts or may be, with global parts?
    Here is what we can find on the web: https://www.cip-bobp.org/fr/old-proof-marks
    But the question remain, where were our barrels made? Japan, Turkey or where else.
    C246F2F7-E983-4F7F-B0B7-050CFCE25FCA.jpeg
  2. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

Honestly...in this context, I think it means whatever Browning represents. It's completely possible IMO that the "bones" of many later Browning "Belgian" shotguns may have been made in Japan and shipped to Belgium for completion. If those guns arrived in Belgium "in the white" without wood, engraving, embellishment, etc...they're still completed firearms in a technical/legal sense, but not so much in a physical sense -or- the preponderance of the work left to be done, such that Browning stamped them "MADE IN BELGIUM - FABRIQUE NATIONALE HERSTEL."

My understanding is the "Flaming Vase with "L" stamp is not really a "making" stamp. It's a stamp of acceptance that the complete foreign firearm coming into the country complies with Belgian / Western European standards.

In my opinion, the barrels were made in Japan (Miroku). The indication for this is the "NP" marking. From what I found, it's the Nitro Proof marking used by Miroku made guns. It's on every Miroku Invector, and Invector Plus barrel I have...which is (5) to include this one.

Here's one of the Belgian marking sources I found...it's in English, the "Flaming Vase with "L" stamp is #35. It also includes Date Codes and the Proofing Controllers further down...

http://www.hunting.be/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Belgian-Proof-Marks.pdf
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

I have never seen a Verney-Carron barrel, which you excluded as the maker of your barrel. Therefore, Miroku seems to be the most logical maker as they have the expertise and the manufacturing structure. And any case, it will be interesting to know what "Sport Active" stand for. Thank you for link regarding the markings. It is very complete.
  4. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

"Sport Active" is the only piece of this "marking puzzle" I can't seem to find duplication or satisfactory explanation. I'm extremely confident in my conclusion the barrel is Browning produced...at Miroku in Japan. I believe this Invector-Plus barrel arrived in Belgium minimally marked and the Belgians finished it. Why "Sport Active" instead of normal left side markings? For the time being at least, I don't have the foggiest idea. I will continue to search for same/similar marking on other late Auto-5s or documentation the marking was applied to other guns. If / when I do find further pertinent info...I'll be sure to post an update. Thanks to everyone for their time and contributions to this thread.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just re-read this post, and am ready for an update!
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

For my part, I am still looking for other "Sport Active" barrel.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

Sorry...nothing to report on my end.