Unusual Auto-5 Magnum Barrel Marking?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by HKG3K, Mar 13, 2021.

1. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

I just came into an Auto-5 Magnum 30" barrel that is marked in a way I haven't seen before. The markings are as follows:

Right Side
    Browning Auto-5
    Special Steel 12ga. Shells 2 3/4" and 3" Chrome

Left Side
    Sport Active

This barrel takes Invector-Plus chokes and by all other appearances looks to be a factory barrel. Has anyone seen the "Sport Active" marking before? It has the Invector-Plus choke system, but is not so marked like my other barrels. I just want to confirm this is in fact a factory barrel. I performed a cursory search on the interwebs, but came up with nothing. Thoughts? I have also posted this question over on SGW as well...
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The definitive book on the Auto-5 only covers Belgian production, so it’s going to be hard to help you. Production in Belgium basically ended in 1978, with a brief run of Magnum Twelves in 1984. But it’s doubtful that yours is one of those.

I’d look for MADE IN JAPAN stamped somewhere. And I believe that Browning’s Morgan Utah address should appear, but I’m just guessing.

A look at Midwest Gun Works website shows that the later barrels did have the Invector Plus choke system.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have heard of Auto5s assembled in Portugal.

Whilst (I love using that word.) anything newer than the old round butt stock is out of my lane, I have read where people mention guns from Portugal. Could this be one of those? That might explain the choke set up.

And what's the deal with the "Portugal made guns anyway?----I should probably start a separate thread.

Maybe for one of those new-fangled inertia "A5" things that are currently being made?
  4. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

Thanks for the replies. Just to reiterate and what is not in question...is this is an 30" Auto-5 Magnum barrel with the Invector-Plus choke system.

Here are the totality of the markings on the barrel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have a mag 12. I bought a separate barrel for it with the invector choke system. Mine however did not have the words in question stamped on it. It was made in Japan.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

There is a firearms company in France call Verney Carron that make barrel for the auto-5. Would you have a picture of the entire shotgun
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My best guess is that your barrel is a genuine Browning part. It says BROWNING AUTO-5 and SPECIAL STEEL. I doubt another manufacturer would do that.

It also has proof marks that I am unable to identify. As far as I know, Japanese barrels had none.
  8. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

I have a Hastings barrel by Verney Carron and with its markings notwithstanding, it's pretty easy to tell it's not a factory Browning barrel...just comparing the barrel ring itself. I also understand the Hastings/Verney Carron choke tube system is different from Invector-Plus

None of my other Jap barrels have proof marks. I agree with you, I think it's a factory barrel with markings that are unique with an unclear origin. BTW...my Hasting's barrel does have "Special Steel" marked on it...but not in conjunction with "Browning Auto-5" and plenty of other markings to indicate it is in fact a "Hastings by Verney Carron" barrel.

The receiver on this Auto-5 is marked "Magnum Twelve" of course and the Serial # is: 070xx NP 111 which indicates final year production with an (unuusal?) 111 configuration code. The wood on the gun is the "late" round knob style that (later?) Miroku guns had. I have a Light 12 Invector Miroku gun which has to the same style buttstock.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I didn’t realize you had the whole gun. And it’s from the very last year of production. There probably never will be a reference available to explain the unusual configuration code. The proof marks are the biggest curiosity.

My one and only Japanese Auto-5 s from 1984 and also has a round knob stock. FN went to the square knob in 1967 and somewhere along the line Miroku brought the RK back, but with a checkering style last seen in the 1920’s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

I will argue that this is not a factory barrel. The Sport Active is a "jobber" trade mark and the Browning auto-5 is to identify to which firearm the barrel belong. The key to this enigma would be to identify from which country the proof marks are from.
  11. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

I hear what you're saying and if one is just looking at the markings...it's an easy conclusion at which to arrive.

I have no doubt this is a factory barrel. Its construction details are exactly the same as the other Miroku made (invector / invector-plus) barrels I have (5)...starting with the rib and its matting pattern, rib posts, the barrel ring configuration and it's inside center lightening cut / hole at 12 o'clock, front bead and of course that it's Invector-plus choke pattern. From my limited research, the "NP" marking on the barrel and extension is a Miroku "nitro-proof" marking and is found on all (5) of my Miroku barrels.

A closer look at the markings reveal that "BROWNING AUTO-5 SPECIAL STEEL 12GA. SHELLS - 2 3/4" is the same spacing/font as on my other barrels. "AND 3" Chrome" is of a different spacing/font...my other 3" barrel is just stamped "- 3"" and doesn't have the both "- 2 3/4" AND 3." And of course the "SPORT ACTIVE" marking on the left side is not a standard Browning marking.

My conclusion? This Invector-Plus barrel was manufactured at Miroku and final-finished in a different factory in a different country...Portugal? Other? "AND 3" Chrome" marking was added on the right side and "SPORT ACTIVE" was added on the left. I had not heard that Auto-5s were assembled in Portugal...maybe Bill Idaho is onto something? Especially considering this was a final year (98) production gun? Thanks again for all the input...
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

From my understanding from talking to Simmons, as they did ribs for browning and many others. They don’t use the browning ribs, but there own and the barrel is still marked browning. The barrel in question looks like a browning rib, so if I had to guess I would say it’s a browning barrel made somewhere else, or perhaps the stamping was screwed up. I know my silver has a barrel marked gold, but it won’t fit my gold and the gold barrel won’t fit the silver. The best answer I got from browning was it was a gold barrel and then re-purposed to the silver. They wouldn’t say if they ran out of silver barrels or what. I’m sure this is not the first time these things have happened.
  13. Biz

Biz 20g

I showed your pics to my friend in Belgium who has, among other, good knowledge about Belgium proof markings. Following him, the markings on your barrel would indicate a Belgium made barrel. However, that is my interpretation, it doesn’t mean that it was made by the F.N. since they are other firms that fabricates firearms and firearms parts in that country. If your barrel was made by the F.N., it will be indicated on the barrel as per the picture of my 1989 Centenary which was made by the F.N.. Also, I believe that if your barrel was made by Miroku, it would be stamped made in Japan. And any case, this is my interpretation of your very interesting case. There is a big chance that I am wrong since your interpretation is less speculative than mine.

E7B07254-38D1-45B9-9F5C-392B8F6ABD44.jpeg

22A90F1F-C5C6-4D80-B6CA-29080605A3AD.jpeg
  14. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

Thank you for the post and the pics. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I have more questions. Here I was thinking "Chrome" was an outlier marking...and there it is in the same font/spacing on your (Belgian) barrel. Did the Belgians also add "AND 3"" to their Magnum barrels? I don't have any Belgian barrels...only choke-tube barrels. Does your barrel have the "NP" on the extension and on the bottom of the barrel?
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

Unfortunately I don’t have a 3 inches Belgium barrel. Here are the proof marks on my 2-3/4" Belgium Barel which, has the NP marking on the right.

14EF1C22-CB08-416C-BBFC-7889A03244D6.jpeg
  16. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

Thanks for the markings pic, Biz. The pendulum keeps swinging towards my barrel being Belgian-made...or at least Belgian-marked. On your barrel those markings on either side of the 184 (flaming vase with "L" in the center?) are identical to the markings on either side of the 18.8 on my barrel...except the "flaming vase with "L" in the center" marking on my barrel is under-scored with a length of chain. You can see mine better if you click on the pic to enlarge.

The only other question I have now is the "NP." I had found in my research that "NP" was a Jap (Miroku) marking for nitro proof. Is "NP" also a known Belgian mark as well? Curious...
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz, your barrel has the same proof mark that I’ve been trying to identify. It’s not listed anywhere. Maybe Liege has changed their system?

Also, NP makes perfect sense for Nitro Proofed. But PV has always been the Belgian code for that, standing for Poudre Vive, or Live Powder in English.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

More likely they changed the identification code. If my memory is not failing me, Browning transferred the auto-5 production to Miroku in Japan in 1975-76? But for some obscure reason, in 1989 , they made the Centenary model in Belgium. This and the fact that the wood is oil finished make that commemorative model very desirable.
  19. HKG3K

HKG3K .22LR

I think I've figured this thing out. The marking that looks to me like a "flaming vase with "L" in the center" is a Definitive Foreign Arms Proof. From what I've found...apparently, prior to the formation of the EU, foreign made guns going to western Europe for civilian ownership had to be proven somewhere...if they came in through Belgium, this mark was applied at the proof house.

The Star over the letter identifies the proofing controller and the underscored letter underneath is a date code...star over "F" was controller Scholtissen Joseph; star over "Z" was Rivas Francois...underscored "P" is 1988 and underscored "V" is 1998.

So...based on this newfound information, it appears my shotgun entered Belgium (finished or near finished?) and the barrel was so marked there. Biz...you think the same applies to your Centenary model?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  20. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

I’d agree on the barrel markings, the script “L” below the flaming vase is Liege “Definitive mark foreign weapons” used since 1968 according to a couple of sources I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk