The types of walnut for gunstock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

O.K. guys, here is a hint. It has a square knob.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Super allege?
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

One strike
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, obviously we’re not, and we don’t. I think the answer is in SV, but I don’t want to cheat.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

The reason I know that model has a French stock is, I have two examples of that model and I know a fellow Canadian collector that has one example. That make a lot of examples of that model just in Canada. Here is a pic of the box
    [​IMG]
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well Biz, I know the Two Millionth commemoratives had square knobs. The Btowning Gold and Classic didn’t. That just leaves the Final Tribute, and I don’t remember what shape knob they had.
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

The last tribute has a round knob There is an obscure model made in the 80s that fits the bill.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok will have wild second swing. What about A500 G . Mid 80's, flat knob, obscure and if I remember right as long long time ago the box used to just have Auto 5 on it not A500. ?
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I will correct that to A500R the short recoil version.
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Here is the Centenary model made in Belgium at the Fabrique Nationale in 1989. The wood is oil finished French walnut. I find the oil finished nicer than the high gloss varnish. The rendering color is better on the white substrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    recoil and win7stw like this.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Oh well struck out! Least was close in the years department.
    Biz do you have copy of FN hardcover centenary book?
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I know a guy that can replicate that finish
    recoil likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

She’s beautiful, Biz. I had forgotten about that model. Now I’m going to have to look it up as I thought all production had ceased in Belgium by 1989 except for some Magnum Twelves.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

Yes I have the Holy Bible and several pamphlets and catalogues.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

It says on the barrel made in Belgium but I believe some parts were made in Japan and assembled in Belgium. In the days of globalization the meaning of made in is a bit streched.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Biz your first person I have encountered who has a copy of centenary book other than me.
    I would suggest it’would be a rare book now as was very limited print run at the time.
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

I believe we all know that guy.
    win7stw likes this.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

Well Auzzie, you are the only guy now that I know that has that book. Sometime in the late morning someone from planet earth call me back and among the tasks I decided to do, I look at my post and realized that I wrote something that has nothing to do with the book you referred to.
    Auzzie likes this.
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok Cryptic Quiz time.
    If I was age 22 when I bought the book how old am I ?
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You’re a whippersnapper of 56!