The types of walnut for gunstock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Anatidae, recoil and KyBoB like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Great read, thanks for posting.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks for sharing Biz.
    Great Read. I am a man of the metal world and even I could understand it all.
    recoil likes this.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Have seen first hand some beautiful featured Turkish stocks split through the wrist exactly as mentioned in article .
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very interesting, but I hope there’s no quiz!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

I am afraid there is a quiz, and this one is difficult. In which years do Browning pamphlets, catalogue and book make reference to English walnut stock?
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

1929-1933. Sure that’s not right, wild guess. That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I will take a stab at 1903. Remember recalling an old add where it made reference to english walnut as an option for the first trap gun model
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve already flunked out. But I will guess that though all of the stocks are walnut, not all of them are heartwood. It’s my opinion that the lighter, blond stocks are sapwood.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That was a great article. Thanks for posting
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Auzzie here is the add I believe you’re referring to. S&V (page 116-117) mention that English walnut was use when the auto 5 was introduce in 1903 and it is mention also in a 1923 Browning catalogue.

[​IMG]
    Auzzie and Ranger6 like this.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

I have never seen any mention of other wood than walnut for the auto-5. You’re are partly right when you say that the light wood is sap wood. Following an Italian wood broker I do business with, there is walnut growing in Italy that has blond heartwood.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Biz
    Only going on total memory here but think the 1903 add mentioned the "Messenger version" of the gun in it apart from the Trap version and the English Walnut.options
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

I have another one for you guys. Which model is described has having French walnut stock? A little hint, it is a post second war model.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Two Millionth?
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

Nope! Very close however
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1 of 500 Gold Classic?
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Skeet Special with the oversize forend?
  19. Biz

Biz 20g

I am afraid that is not the answer. You are allow more than three strikes.
  20. Ranger6

Ok Rudolph31 and Auzzie, you both are over achievers. You guys are being sent to the corner of the classroom. How do you guys even know all this stuff?