New guy here finally got my info straight

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I had fun with the guy at my local cabelas when he walked me out of the building with the gun. I asked the kid if he knew what a Belgium browning sweet 16 was? He said sure I have 2. I told him as I was walking away that he could tell his friends he had held a sweet 16 prototype. His jaw dropped to the sidewalk and followed up with oh #$&*!
    Was really funny.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Yes that is my other alias. Talking about prototype and unique auto-5, one that I have been seeking for over ten years is the rare with Browning patent engraved on the bottom of the receiver.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

I assume that the prototype was made at the F.N.. It would interesting to know how it end up at Cabelas in the U.S.
  4. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I am aware of those and the first 500 serial number thing but I haven’t found one yet. I sold my first year 3 digit special order to fund the 16ga guns. If I find one I will let you know, I don’t care to use a 12ga a5 no mater what it is. I hunt/shoot all my guns. I would be happy to find one for someone else. Lately I have found win7stw a gun or 2 and just got a donor case for anatidae. I’m keeping my eye out for Rudolph for a 1946-47 stealth lt12. I like looking for others since I have to many shotguns but love to hunt for them. I did stop bidding on a grade 3 16ga project gun 2 weeks ago it would have been excellent after 1000-1200.00 of work but it just went a little higher than I thought was acceptable, but if I didn’t have the guns I have now I would have kept on bidding.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think the count is up to 3 soon will be four.
  6. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Prototype is a 1927 gun that was altered or lightened. Also has an extra step(milled down) at the barrel extension. It was done around same time, I know this cuz it has the inspectors D mark that my other guns have from the same time frame on that step.
    I think Germans stoled it or FN worker took it home and American GI brought it back to us. Lots of amazing guns make their way via military guys to Virginia. When I was young guy bought tzar Nicholas’s pair of guns in a Virginia pawn shop for a song.
    Anyway some US smith opened it up to 2 3/4in and messed with the forend
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

You need to take me bird hunting up there
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That could be arranged, you’d have to let me shoot the prototype though. I am concerned about the bird numbers this year. We had a terrible drought last year and we just got pounded with 24” of wet heavy snow and 50 MPH winds. I hope they pulled through the blizzard ok.
  9. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Works for me. Is the condo they advertise on 16ga.com in North Dakota anywhere near you?
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I started another thread about a very unique a5 that doesn’t belong to me but wow!
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That is in South Dakota
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Oops was worth a shot, wrong Dakota
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Ok here is something odd. SV book says between 40000-49200 June 1925 June 1926 Fn only made 10 guns. I have 2 in my den with me now both grade 2s ( type 1). This can’t be correct, I don’t know why it was even thought to be? Lots of numbers in there.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have thought about booking that as pheasant hunting is on a whole different level down there. I lived in SD for three years and the bird hunting there is unreal. I really didn’t like the style of hunting though. Usually 15 guys walking a field with 5 posters at the end. Shoot 60 birds in 45 minutes and be done for the day. I like hunting by myself or with one or two guys I can trust. I’ve had too many barrels pointed my way. I’ve also had people almost shoot my dogs. I’ve got no time for poor gun discipline
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I have never been bird hunting with more than 3 people holding guns. Certainly never experienced anyone or dogs getting shot. I have been told lately not to trust spreaders over dogs which sounds like a good idea since they are in front of the gun even if extreme angle away(which they always should be). Never thought driving pheasants would be anything close to the fun of shooting over a bird dog. Truth is I have never been wild pheasant hunting. Only quail, grouse and woodcock over dogs. I trained several dogs using game farms though lots of pen raised birds.
    Never met a guy who actually had trained his own bird dog well that was an idiot (unsafe) but it may be possible.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I haven’t seen a dog get shot but I have been hit while hunting in the big groups in SD. Not enough energy left to in the shot to penetrate skin or clothes but it sucks.

I’m sure you have seen my pictures and know that I run Brittany’s. I quit hunting with my brother in law after he damn near smoked one of my dogs. She was on point downhill from us as he was walking over to her the rooster flushed. My dog jumped and he shot. I thought she was dead. That is the only time she has jumped at a bird. I ripped him a new a hole and went back to the truck.

If you have never hunted wild pheasants put a late season Dakota hunt on your bucket list. It can be a very frustrating but fun experience. I would love to get the regulars here together and do a hunt. Biz was supposed to get together with me last fall but my work and Covid had a different plan
  17. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have been rained on and win7stw is correct. It sucks. I lost my best rabbit dog as a kid, was hunting with a neighbor and he shot a rabbit coming directly at us about 10 yards out, dog was hot on his trail at about 30 yards. Needless to say dumbass missed the rabbit and got my dog. The dog was in bad shape and for a kid to put his dog down right there was not an easy task. I have owned several since then, but none of them were as good. Don’t know how my neighbor got home that day, but he was left. My grand dad said he didn’t deserve a ride, not even in the bed of the truck.
    win7stw likes this.
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Luckily I never had any incidents were someone shot my dog that would be a really bad situation. When I was a kid a dump truck ran over one of my red beagles, never slowed down. Unfortunately I promptly shot the back of the truck, grandpa was pretty mad but guy never came back! I was 10 and didn’t really know any better .