New guy here finally got my info straight

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Been lurking for a while but wasn’t released to post till now.
    Anyway recently purchased a 1910-13 straight stock 16ga and had Arts clan restore it.
    I have had him restore 7 brownings now always does a fine job.
    But I learned some things with this early gun that may interest you guys.
    To my surprise this gun has a different distance(forend inside length) from the breach end of the barrel to the front of the barrel ring. I financed my collection by selling a5 barrels online so I have a dozen laying around.
    So when this gun came back with its 30in barrel( marked ch b RAYE, some fool removed the rifling now cylinder) I immediately put my favorite 25.5in Matt barrel on it. I couldn’t even see the barrel extension.
    I had to remove about a 1/4in of wood to use this forend with my other barrels.
    I will now just use a shim if I ever want to shoot the matching barrel but I doubt I will.
    Now you know, if you but a 1909-1914 16 you will need 2.5 forend for your other barrels

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph and win7stw have been helping me figure out these browning guns for a while :thanks:
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Glad to see you are finally here!!

Post that prototype when you have time. Actually we need to see all of your collection
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Glad to see you made it. We have been going back in forth on shotgun world, but my screen name is different there. I made several post on your one that you just got back from art. Can’t wait to see the one Cole is doing. Keep us posted.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice guns Jta5er look forward to seeing you on here more often
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Thanks guys
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

I like how you showed the shotgun in your case. Can you tell us more about that case and two barrel; one is ribbed. Were there ribbed barrels in that era?
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I think the solid ribs started in 1923 and vent in 1929 according to SV. My grade 2 (type 1 European market) gun has 1925-26 date and a solid rib barrel( and several others that are fitted). I now have that 1930-32 a case and just received a 1929 first year case.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really like the 1929 case some of the paperwork isn’t even in the SV Book. Those red tags are instructions with Ogden address only made 1 year according to SV. Case is in really nice condition, didn’t know the condition or about paperwork when I purchased it, when I opened it at ffl I probably looked like a crazy man( completely nerded out).
    I will display the lightened model/ prototype 16 in that case when it comes back.
    Funny I never considered myself a browning collector but I believe I may be one now.
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Jimmy I just realized I do have a period correct stock for the other Grade II
    [​IMG]
  9. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

It will be super nice gun. The factory pattern test with its serial number makes it rare. My grade 2 is my favorite browning, they are hard to beat.
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

Is it possible to see the target, "factory pattern test"? I would love to reed it, there appears to have very interesting information on it. Why do you think the prototype was not adopted?
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Prototype comes off as ugly first impression
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    win7stw and murphranch like this.
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

What is interesting is the gun has a 1925 serial number same as barrel. Pattern sheet has feb 1926 date top right corner but the barrel proof mark is h 1929. Hanging tags date 1929 and case was only made this configuration 1929.
    No doubt this gun was sold with this case in US in 1929. So they patterned before they marked the barrel and it sat in warehouse for 4 years. Guess depression?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Jta5er that 1929 case is stunning and in amazing condition. Nothing makes them look as good as having a period case to match the gun. I am always looking but never seen anything that good before except in the S&V book Having that paperwork is certainly a bonus find. Your very lucky.
  14. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Thanks I was on the hunt for the case. Was lucky enough to find a prewar key yesterday. Hope it works
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Where did you find that? You have killer skills at finding the good stuff
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

eBay was pictured with prewar case with same locks so I’m hoping it works
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you Jta5er for the target pics. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the prototype is, the beautiful Browning auto5 has been disfigured. You had a few Browning renovated by Art’s, are you happy with all of them?
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Yes art does very well with brownings and his simulated rust blue is getting better, this last straight stock blueing looks exactly like fn rust blue. I have a factory original 1930 barrel that is on that gun and can’t tell the difference between the 2 blues. I shot it today at 5 stand it handled great. It’s a keeper. Will be great to get prototype gun back and play with it.
    Have you seen the pic in the back of SV book of that prototype it looks to be a 12ga if you notice the magazine stop lever location? Top page 236
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  19. Biz

Biz 20g

Very interesting. It look very nice actually with the engraving. I believe that if the barrel extension is protruding from the receiver it will be a 16 gauge or a magnum 12 gauge, which I doubt. Can I ask you how you were able to put your hands on a prototype?
  20. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I bought it from cabelas Virginia for 999.00. I couldn’t sleep one night, surfed the web and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I had remembered the ugly gun in the book I actually had made a mental note when I first noticed it. I was on the phone with that cabelas from the minute they opened till deal was done it took 3 hours.
    Hey Biz are you Gibier on other site?