Is the BOSS a discontinued rifle?

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Paul Holland, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

This was with the new rounds we loaded, seem my pictures are too large? but had fairly consistent groups with the new rounds and good groups with the factory rounds. going to up the powder to 48 and 50 grains 20 each and give it another go.
  2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Sorry for the late reply, I completely forgot to ask my Browning rep about the B.O.S.S..
    Well, I finally spoke with her this afternoon, and remembered to ask. Here is the scoop from the horse's mouth.

The B.O.S.S. is discontinued..... sort of.
    They have all but phased out models with the B.O.S.S. system availability. The only exception is the BAR Safari, which is the only Browning still available on the market with the B.O.S.S. system. No word on how long this will be available from Browning, however.
  3. freedom

freedom .22LR

I have a Browning Acera in 30-06 with the factory installed B.O.S.S system. This is a straight pull bolt rifle, only made two years- 1999 and 2000. Never shot it.
  4. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

WOW never shot it? you are really missing a party.
  5. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

OK another try, Hopefully we will find the sweet spot on the Remington this Sunday, we are loading 20 each 48 grain and 20 each of 50 grain. the 46 grain did not perform well. Once we get the right load for the Remington I'll tune the BOSS to it.
    Going to Photo Doc it very well.
  6. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

OK going with the 48 Grain load, need to reload a bunch and tune the Boss to them, should be in the next couple of weeks.
  7. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

Here's a similar tuning thread with .30-06 and non-lead bullets in a Remington 700 and a Browning BOSS rifle. He got the Browning dialed in, but couldn't get the Remington to group. He was hand loading 165 grain copper bullets and making them hotter and hotter, which still didn't improve accuracy. I recommended going down to 150 grain bullets, if the accuracy didn't improve by throttling the powder charge. The same weight copper bullets are substantially bigger in size than the lead ones of the same weight. I don't handload, but maybe this will help.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums...06-Non-lead-coming-to-town!!?referrerid=41835
  8. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Thank you Planetcat but that be me on JHO, we bought a bunch of 165 got a great price and that is what we were shooting in Leaded, You are correct ! The size is making a difference. Not sure if we want to stop with the 165 and go to 150, guess I can always shoot the 165 and The Bruce can shoot the 150, its just another start and cost, maybe if we don't buy so much till we know would be smart?
  9. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

Hi Paul, funny, I see Bruce on a couple of other forums too. I hunt the central coast every now and then. Maybe we'll run into each other in the field some day.

What do you think about lopping off or grinding 15 grains or so off the bullet? I was reading a thread on the Marlin forums where someone was grinding off the pointed tips on Barnes .458 caliber bullets to use in their .45-70 lever action, so the nose was flat in the tube magazine. The shooter had bought a bunch on a great deal. Maybe off the back of the bullet for Bruce? I think grinding the tip would kiss good bye the ballistic coefficient of the round, which is not really that applicable in a .45-70 anyways, but definitely applicable in .30-06. Just an idea. Did you guys think about putting a $10 limbsaver anti-resonating donut on his barrel? I like trying to solve these types of problems. Of course it's easy for me, I'm not the one investing all the time and money into it. :)
  10. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Never heard of a $10 limbsaver anti-resonating donut, will have to look it up
  11. Planetcat

Planetcat .410