Is the BOSS a discontinued rifle?

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Paul Holland, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Hello new to the forum, its a privilege to be here. I have a couple Browning's my hunting rifle which is a
    SS A bolt II 30/06 BOSS or should I say with the BOSS? I purchase it the first year it came out and it seems that it left the station like the fireball express and then just disappeared?
    Any BOSS Lovers out there?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome Paul...

Enjoy the community.

As far as the Boss...I will defer to the experts here.
  3. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

From out of the box it took aprox 5 sets of 3 rounds to bring iot to a clover leave at 160 yards, yes I know why 160 yards not 200?
    160 was all we had at the location we sighted it at, picked it up the Thursday before opening day so didn't have a lot of choices where to sight it.
  4. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

I am just getting ready to retune to some custom non lead 30/06 towards the end of the month.
    This will be only the second time I have tuned it. all the leaded rounds held a Fairley tight grouping of about a 1nch at 200yrds
    but the non-leaded ammo opened to 4/5.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to the results...
  6. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

So is it a 30/06 BOSS or is it a 30/06 with a BOSS installed?
    and is it still being made or has it gone the way of the Colt Python?
    one of which I have that I may be considering selling.
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

It is a .30-06 Springfield (.30cal made in 1906), so technically it would be referred to as a .30-06 A-Bolt with a BOSS installed. I will check with my Browning rep in the next few days and find out, but I believe the BOSS system is now discontinued.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yes...the BOSS system was discontinued.
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

OK so I have a SS "A" bolt II, 30/06 with a discontinued BOSS factory installed on it?
    Love the rifle and the BOSS So Sad
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

The BOSS seemed to have a love/hate thing going on across it's owners. Some say they make the firearm too loud and that it does minimal improvements, others swear by it. Still, it is a pretty cool idea.
  11. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Any Idea how long the BOSS was offered? seems to have been short lived.
    guess I should do some home work.
  12. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I can probably find out for you... I am fairly well connected at Browning.
  13. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

That would be much appreciated, seems there is very little on the BOSS, huge hype at the beginning and then Poof Nothing
  14. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

I'll post the pics this time around, I'll be retuning it to the Non-lead loads a friend is loading for me.
    Not sure about your Dope bag test? But from a rest I get very consistent groups from my BOSS.
  15. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

16. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

checked out the SS, A bolt II, stalker which is what I have in 30/06 and did not see the BOSS offered.
    But I am sure they would install it on just about any browning rifle.
    Just looks like the BAR is the only one offered with the BOSS at the moment.
    I can't believe that in this entire forum there are no other BOSS owners?
  17. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

OK Loading the first 20 of Non-lead 30/06 for my BOSS Sunday, hoping to also tune and sight it in at 200 yrds
    I will Photo doc the process, but I will need some help posting the pictures. Seems I still do not have the authority to post pictures.
    Monday you all!!!
  18. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I would not necessarily go by the site... they still show the BPS Engraved, which has been discontinued for a couple of years.
  19. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Well was not what I had planned, the rounds we made did not perform as well as we had hoped for and I was unable to tune the Boss.
    we Loaded 165 boat tail non-lead bullets, with 46 Grains IMR 4320, and LRP 200.
    After five rounds of 3 we had very wide groups, finally put 3 rounds of the factory thru the Boss and both of us had 2" or better groups.
    4+ inches higher on the target. Looks like we are going to heat up the round a bit and load 50 grain, and see if it helps.
    I will have the pics a little later this morning
  20. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Got the 5 groups I shot, seems we didn't take a pic of the factory group. but can not get them to load?