FN Auto 5 - type V Engraved

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Howell copp, Feb 27, 2023.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That’s a 1921 gun and I have a hard time believing Funken engraved it as he didn’t officially work for FN until 1926. However there are guns that were engraved by him prior to 1926
    Anatidae likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Things keep getting curiouser and curiouser…

So the gun came with Browning hang tags? With the St. Louis address?

This is all very unusual because from what we think we know, the Type V wasn’t available in the US. Maybe on special order? But…

It was manufactured in 1921, and there were no imports from Belgium after 1903 until 1923. Not only that, but the St. Louis distribution center wasn’t opened until 1929. So unless this gun sat around in the Liege warehouse for 8 years, then special ordered, we have a mystery.

If I were you, I’d definitely try to get a letter from Browning.
    Anatidae likes this.
  3. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Sorry fellas but Felix Funken did not put those tails on those dogs! More likely Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny!
    recoil and Rudolph31 like this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I took two pictures of Type V engraved receivers from SV:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here’s the OP’s gun:
    [​IMG]

I’m afraid that my original estimate of $10,000 may have been exaggerated…
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Was the beer good?
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As if I must have been drunk when I wrote that? No, but I admit that I didn’t look at the pictures that closely.

My admiration for these guns has to do with the genius of the design first, the history second, and the artwork a distant third. So I briefly glanced at what appeared to be very rare Auto-5. Good for you for pointing out the flaws.

I don’t know if the OP is the victim of a fraud or the would-be perpetrator of one. I’m going with victim unless he doesn’t come back.
    Anatidae likes this.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

While it is pretty obvious that this wasn't done by FN and a copy by someone with much less skill, they still did a better job than I could have. I do believe the tails on the dogs are way out of place, and at close look it is easy to spot. Like Rudolph31, I got a little pre-excited on my first thought.
    Anatidae and Rudolph31 like this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

We all did, except for Biz.

While I don’t have a problem with an after-market engraved gun, I think this example rises to the level of fraud because of the anachronistic accoutrements that accompany it. But as I said, I’m giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. After all, he didn’t try to sell it. And lots of dealers know very little about these Brownings.

Oh, one last thing, SV says the Type V was Matt chromed, not blued.
    Anatidae likes this.
  9. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

I do appreciate the quail rather than the Obligitory "Hound that found Granny's Jug" on the back of the receiver though! Lol