FN Auto 5 - type V Engraved

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Howell copp, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Howell copp

Howell copp Copper BB

I am a dealer - I just acquired this beautiful A-5 FN serial number 25854 from a wealthy fairly wealthy estate.
    In doing some research I came across this site. I have quite A few high grade Browning's (and others) that I've acquired over my many years, so I'm glad to find you. One bit I found was that this grade (type V) wasn't imported to USA, wondering if that's true and any comments are appreciated. wondering the value. As well as any other comments. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice gun you have there. Beautiful piece from the images. There are definately some people on this site with way more knowledge especially on the high grades than myself.
    They will be along shortly
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Beautiful gun sir. Consider me jealous
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Nice!! I am guessing it is a 12 gauge? If so, that serial number indicates the relative birth date of that gun to be early 1948.

(Is the magazine cap screwed all the way down? The shiny bit of barrel extension is odd, usually because the cap needs a few more clicks--by hand of course. 16 gauge guns had more of the extension showing than the 12 gauge models.)
    I would gladly offer you $200 dollars for it.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice sir, I'm jealous too.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This appears to be a 1921 16 gauge Bill
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Straight trigger is another giveaway that this gun was born before 1948
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Are you going to be selling this or keep it for your collection?
  9. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I am currently ashamed of my incorrect info. Study more-----type less. The forward location of the magazine cut-off retaining screw should have caught my feeble attention.
    win7stw likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very beautiful! I would guess that it came home with a GI who unfortunately put that recoil pad on it. And it looks like it’s been converted to shoot 2 3/4” shells. Either that or the forearm needs work.

As to value, it’s almost impossible to put a price on what essentially is a one of a kind. But I do know that Art’s Gunshop put a starting price of $10,000 on a Type VI that they’d restored.
  11. Howell copp

Howell copp Copper BB

No it is a 16ga and no the cap wasn't tight.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  12. Howell copp

Howell copp Copper BB

I'm planning on keeping it at least for awhile, everything is for sale if the bid is enough.
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Are you staking your claim there buddy?(Win7stw)
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

Congratulations for your find. If I was to purchase this particular type V I would be looking at two elements. The engraving look to me it was done by an apprentice engraver. I find that some fine details are lacking. The dogs and the birds seems more like caricature than realistic. Unfortunately, the buttstock was shortened to install the recoil pad and it appears that the finished was redone with a very high luster varnish and I am not sure it was done that way in the 20s. In any case, that remains a very nice auto 5. Thank you for showing it. May be you have others you could show us.
    Anatidae likes this.
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I’m glad Biz brought it up, sorry I was not wanting to question the engraving but it looks off. It could be that it was just over polished and distorted during a restoration but I’m no expert! Still a beautiful gun but needs a knowledgeable appraiser.
    Anatidae likes this.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

No I agree with the others that it doesn’t look right. I actually questioned it the other night but deleted my post because I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to offend op
    Anatidae likes this.
  17. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

My knowledge of the Auto-V is limited. But I bought one just for the engraving (Type V 16 ga). It has subjects of ‘dogs and boar’ on the left and ‘dogs and Fox’ on the right.

The item (specifically the engraving) speaks for itself.

Being a dealer, what was your valuation for this item when you purchased it?

What other ‘high grade’ Brownings would you be inclined to share with us?
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biz’s comments made me take a closer look. The engraving looks sharp to me, but the execution appears poor. I’ll check The Book to see if there’s an actual picture of a Type V.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Auzzie and Anatidae like this.
  19. Howell copp

Howell copp Copper BB

Oh I didn't mention that it came in what looks like the original case with all the OLD PAPERS shown in more pics. Also note the engraving on picture I found online I believe from Felix Funken

Attached Files:

20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very neat that it has all the papers. The case isn’t original as it’s a Tolex
    Anatidae and Ranger6 like this.