Australian Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Auzzie, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You hit the nail on the head. The regular group on here is a great bunch. And yep if you got a question about what it’s suppose to be or should be from the Bible then Rudolph31 is your man. The biggest problem we have is people come and then leave, so hang around buddy. It’s always nice to have another auto 5 fanatic on board.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

.............define "fanatic"...........................
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Are you going to refinish the wood?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bill that’s easy............ YOU
    Bill Idaho likes this.
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I am only up to about 30 or so now.
    I would put the "fanatic" rating somewhere upwards of ----oh, let's say----- 31.
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

But seriously, in all the Auto 5s I have gathered, I am relatively certain none or European guns.

Is there an easy way to determine if it was originally meant for "overseas"--which is confusing being as that it was made in Belgium (technically "overseas"), then sent to the USA, and I am referring to them as being "overseas" where they were built originally....
    Serial numbers are one method, what about other markings, configurations?
  7. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

And I just gathered up a twin-spring first year magnum a few days ago.

Just sayin".....
    antman73 likes this.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Going to attempt to re finish wood, touch up checkering and repair chip in toe of stock. Was originally going to cut stock for a kickeze but it ended up being too good condition and rare to sacrifice. On lookout for a donar one here to cut up.

Have read win7 described his process and results look great. Biggest headache Is not being able to get hands on the exact right products to use like Arts fillers and the branded oil rub finishes etc you guys get off the shelf. There is just no market here for it and import is just way too prohibitive cost and restrictive process unless your buying pallets. This is where the fun and learning comes in and you have to research,create your own home brands and secret recipe plus get them to work. I have the exact same issue with rust blue solutions.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wonder if we could ship the oils and Arts filler? I know of 3 12 gauge stocks and the guy wants $100 USD per stock
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Unfortunately investigated can't get shipped to here through customs as fillers and oils are classified dangerous goods can't be split cargo and attract massive fees for clearance and papers unless you bring a truckload . Brownell's won't even entertain sending anything they sell because of risk of fines if it went wrong.
    Wood is complicated as we have super strict quarantine here being an island continent. Customs impound any wood products coming in and have to inspect, irradiate & fumigate anything thats suspect. Again massive $$$.
    The only way I know others here have got around problem with used stocks is you have to have the item totally and completely sealed, inside inletting and outside under pad, bolt hole, checkering etc. Sprayed or brushed on varnish or polyurethane. The risk is that if person at other end does half baked job preparing, you as the receiver of the goods gets an unexpected bonus bill for fumigation and irradiation which is 10 times the cost of the stock or lumber. I know somebody who got bitten!!!! the elusive cheap walnut blank.
    It would be a bigger deal for a bone butt plate as it would automatically have to be fumigated for bugs and irradiated for disease. not covid lol
    Australia and New Zealand are the quarantine kings but for good reason as there is lot at stake to agriculture and timber industry.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Dang it that’s too bad. I would have sent you a package. The good news is most finishes are a blend of timing oil, mineral spirits, and an oil varnish. You should be able to mix stains to get the right color and then mud the finish to fill the pores
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I will do some investigating get onto some people here that do furniture making. Could be few clues there. I stumbled onto a cut stock this morning on line here that somebody has hacked down . If I have to fashion up a 1" chunk to put on rear and then fit up kickeze pad to get right LOP at 14 1/2 that will do for a shooter then repair and doll up the original.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You are too kind. But, I kinda did, right here on Browning Owners. Just about everything I’ve learned is here. The former moderator, Shooter13, made them stickies.

But I’ve had a lot of help. This thread from Sauerfan: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=216472&sid=88ce4ae2af4b36c758c4c9541991981b

And this from Keith Groen: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79647&sid=88ce4ae2af4b36c758c4c9541991981b

And of course, Art’s videos.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Good resource here and clever people in the background
    antman73 likes this.