Australian Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Auzzie, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi all
    This is first post on auto five page. Have lurked in background for a while and learned heaps so far. Got the S & V book couple years back which re kindled interest in Auto 5. Just got hands on a 38 12 ga which is very rare barn find here.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Welcome to the forum, Aussie!

We’d like to see pictures of your Auto-5. World Market guns are just a little different. I’m curious that since it went to an English speaking country if the barrel says SPECIAL STEEL or ACIER SPECIAL.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says Hi and welcome. There is definitely something about those old A5s!!

Buy another safe now!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Auzzie- welcome aboard. glad to have you. I agree some pictures are in order.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi all
    Thanks for warm welcome , once I figure out how to get some pictures up will post a couple. My son is pretty good on the computer so sure he can help.
    Barrel is branded Acier serial is 199882 which I am guessing puts it late 37 early 38. All original and numbers match
    Somehow luckily it survived the Great Crush of 96 and has new home now.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

auzzie- pictures are way easier then they use to be. just hit upload button
  7. antman73

antman73 .410

Well Rudolph there's your answer. True WM gun. Can't wait to see pictures.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Welcome to the Auto-5 club. Is the barrel ribbed. I am not familiar with the 1996 crush, can you explain?
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Since Aussie is no doubt asleep, I’ll tell you that I think he’s referring to the Australian “buy back” and destruction of legally owned arms. How the government can buy back something it never owned is a mystery to me.
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

[​IMG]
    Yes Rudolph what you say is correct. In a knee jerk reaction back 1995 to an "incident", the Government of the day passed emergency legislation to ban the ownership of all semi automatic and pump action weapons and extract them from society. Prior to that we were exactly like US is today in terms of ownership. To actually keep a semi auto required a very very strict reason. The Army and Law was bought in to oversee the destruction process via mass crushing and we were paid a non negotiable flat rate price for what got turned in. Needless to say lot of significant and historic firearms were lost to this action.
    Our laws now are just like Sweden as kumpe 410 has described on this forum before but stricter. We now have the most restrictive gun laws in the world to deal with.
    Some like this one I just got managed to get escaped via legal loopholes and surface every now and then.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apologies for the image sizes but I am sill learning how to get stuff up but hope this satisfies your curiosity a bit.
    I intend giving it a make over as a project gun with what I have learned on this site and using as an occasional fun shooter to bust few clays.
    antman73 and Rudolph31 like this.
  12. Ranger6

hey buddy we have room for you on this side of the table. then you can have as many as you want.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Spent time working , travelling and shooting in States when I was younger. Was going to make the change but ended up married and family instead.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  14. antman73

antman73 .410

Does the receiver on Auzzie's gun look blued or something different? Might just be the lighting but it looks nice.
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here is some better images I just did. Was just bad light in the other one Antman. Unfortunately nothing special only aged blue and rust pits.
    antman73 likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Nice. Have you shot it yet?
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Little late to the party, but welcome aboard. That gun is a beauty, congrats
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Not fired as yet been in safe couple of months. . It will need pulling apart and good clean going over first but everything appears to work as it should so far. Spent bit of time lapping the barrel to get rid of few marks lnside came up perfect. You can feel the springs are bit sad from age and being stored with barrel and for end on for long time either behind a door or stashed . I don’t think it has done lot of shooting in its life but it got bit knocked around outside and not stored well as a farm gun.
  19. Ranger6

Hey I can help you with all that. I will clean, shoot, store correctly in my safe.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ranger keep an eye on things down the track . I detect from your speed load posts your a perfectionist tinkerer like myself that hates getting beat. I have to be my own Art here on Gilligans island so case of fix or it stops broke. I am sure to have questions of yourself and the regular panel. Your mate Rudolph is pretty clued on. He should pen his own addendum to the S&V book