What must I do to remove the buttstock?

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by MZ5, Feb 8, 2012.

1. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I'm new here (said 'hi' in the new members sub-forum), and I'm also new to the BLR. I've wanted one for many years, and recently was finally able to get one. It's a Lightning pistol grip model in 243 Win.

I'm a pretty mechanically-inclined person; I like machines and working with them. I'm interested in doing a little clean-up on some of this rifle's internals, and so I need to start by removing the buttstock. I have a screwdriver long enough and large enough to reach that bolt inside the butt, but it's on there TIGHT. Is there something I should know, or do I just find a way to twist harder?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey MZ5, I dont own a BLR but for my Maxus, it was the same for me. The first time taking off the buttstock screws, it is very tight to get off. One thing i would suggest is to make sure that the screwdriver you are using is the right size and there is not any wiggle room when you try to screw it out. the last thing you want to do is strip the screw.
    If you are having difficulty trying to twist it off, have a buddy hold it, so this way your able to add more torque to it. hope this helps and let us know if you are still having issues.
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Yep, that was it. A helper and some Cobras spun it quick. :)
    Thanks!
  4. Darreld Walton

Darreld Walton Copper BB

MZ25, I've owned a few of the older Belgian BLR's, and what I use is a bit holder in a very long 3/8" extension and a ratchet handle. You MUST have a good fit, because if the driver does not go into the slot in the screw, it can end up next to the screw head, and when torque is applied, it WILL split the stock!!! I know, I did it on an absolutely gorgeous piece of walnut on a little .243 years ago. I've even considered making a "sleeved" bit to go over the screw head and keep it on there with no chance of slipping off, but it's a project for another day.
  5. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

thanks for the info. For what seems like a simple task, there are so many things to screw up. i always hate taking off the buttstock...