Trigger pull for deer gun

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by bfrbill, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bfrbill

bfrbill Copper BB

My new Maxus with rifled barrel has a measured trigger pull of just over 7 lbs. Shooting 2 to 3 moa at 200 yds off a bench. I am having a difficult time not pulling my shots while hunting though. Missed 4 deer last.week with new gun. Never did that before with 1100. What are my options to reduce the trigger pull? I have plastic snap caps and have fired 150 times. I can shoot my old 1100 smoothbore more accurately (at closer range) because of 3 & 3/4 lb trigger. Ideas?
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

2-3 MOA at 200 yards is pretty darn good for a slug gun.

Have you shot the Maxus from a seated or standing position just to see if the point of impact is the same as from the bench?
  3. bfrbill

bfrbill Copper BB

Shot about 100 rounds over 2 months finding the most accurate ammo for Gun. Decided on Hornady SST is best all around, and on sale at $10 per box. Remington Core Lokt Ultra shot the most accurate, kicked harder, and is $18 to $20 a box. Also hard to find in my area. I shot one shot kneeling just before dark as the season ended... about 1.5 inches low at 40 yards. When it stops raining someday I will follow-up with some more standing or kneeling shots to check POI further. Season comes back in on the 15th. Not sure which gun I will carry. Don't like this trigger pull very well. :-0
  4. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Go to this website and read some of the tips on sighting in a slug gun. There are some useful links here. This link gets passed around a lot on other forums I frequent, and it's a good one to share.

http://www.tarhunt.com/Tarhunt/Shooting ... uidePages/

Because of the heavy and slow projectile they shoot, the dwell time of the projectile in the barrel, and how they recoil off a sand bag, shooting a slug gun calls for different tactics when zeroing at the range.

As for trigger pull, from what I've read the Browning Maxus breaks at 6.5 to 7#. Not exactly stellar. But, if you shot that well with it, that doesn't sound like much of a hindrance.

Hope this helps. Good luck.