Three 16’s from the 40’s

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 23, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I had a Miroku Sweet Sixteen for many years and never shot it because of the safety. I shoot left handed and grew up shooting guns with tang safeties. I couldn’t get used to the cross bolt safety so it had to go. Not long ago I learned about the “Stealth Sweet Sixteens” and knew I had to have one.

I should have read a little more about the X prefix sixteens before jumping in. The first one I bought was a standard but in good condition for being built in 1949.

The second one I confirmed was a Stealth before I bought it and it was built in 1947. Unfortunately the stock was cut. After some looking I landed a stock that Arts gun shop had restored.

The third is a 1944 or 1945 FN marked standard 16. This one had some issues but I really like it. I’m also excited to load for this gun since it has the 65mm chamber. I plan on having Art restore it soon.

‘49 in the back, ‘47 in the middle, and FN in the front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You’ve got some collection started. Those guns are just beautiful.

I guess a 1950 will be the latest year for you because in ‘51 the crossbolt safety appeared. Although, did you know that left handed safeties became available in the ‘60’s? You could have put one on your Miroku.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Rudolph. I did know about the left hand safety. I just can’t get used to the push button. I should have shot spirting clays league with one to get myself used to it. However I love these trigger guard safeties. The Jap gun seemed big and heavy to me.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I like the trigger guard safeties too. However, unless you’re hunting, I don’t see any reason to use the safety. At the range the gun is either empty with the action open or loaded and about to shoot. Nobody walks around with a loaded gun.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree I get a little anxious when I see somebody with their action closed at the range.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Beautiful guns. Thanks for sharing.