This one is going to test me

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Ok, Ok Enough with the small talk-----pictures or it didn't happen.

Hiding a repaired crack is all but impossible. I have seen others sand area near the crack-very carefully- and save the dust. Then that dust is mixed in with the glue. When the glue is applied, and squeezed out of the crack as it is drawn together, the excess glue that is exposed is scraped off with a knife edge-NOT wiped off with a damp rag, as is the customary method. After everything is dry, a light final sanding removes any trace amount of glue near the crack, and if the moons are in alignment----the crack is virtually hidden.
    I have seen this done a couple of times, but for no good reason, haven't tried it myself---yet. But, I want to see this forearm.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will post some pics of the progress tonight
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    Checkering with need some work. Picture makes the joint look worse than it is.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    And we have issues. Not sure if my clamping force was too much or what the deal is but the other crack I glued opened up. Should have stuck with my gut and used Titebond but I decided to try PVA glue. I have no idea how I will repair the bad repair
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear that. Stay positive.
    I’m sure you will figure something out
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It can be fixed I’m pretty sure. Hopefully Biz we come around soon and tell me how to fix it
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello,

Justin I am sorry it doesn’t work the way you hope. There is always a danger by giving advice and opinions on "how to do". Did the joint open after being glued or was it open when you removed the "clamping"? Here is a link to Midway USA fixing cracks

and some pics of cracks repairs I did using polyurethane glue, which I still believe is the glue for that kind of job. Normally you can unglued your wood if you return it into the acetone. Sorry for my poor English, my wife is out grocery shopping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the hair line of white glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc I believe it broke from clamping the other joint. It was the first crack that I glued. I think I had too much force on the top of the stock and it caused the sides to bow in and it stressed the joint.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

For a good solid joint the gap between the two pieces to be glued must be between 0,003" and 0,006". I have a couple forearm that are cracked, I will give a try this weekend.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Biz how the hell you know this stuff? What do you do for a living?
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

His living involves working with wood
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I put the forearm in an acetone bath again. Hopefully tomorrow night I can move forward
  13. Biz

Biz 20g

We make laminated solid wood panel everyday. But gluing old contaminated wood is a good challenge.
  14. Ranger6

I had a hunch that was the case.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

Why don’t you try with the Titebound glue this time. It would be interesting to see the result
  16. Ranger6

I had my run at old oil soaked stock several years ago. Did my research and decided on some paste that was suppose to drawl the oil out if you baked it in the oven. It sure worked. Drawled the oil right out of the crack that happened in the oven. Not my thing anymore.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So even though I am bummed that forearm is being a challenge this one is turning out pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If I can get all the old pva glue out I will either try Titebond or E6000
  19. Ranger6

Wow looks awesome. Know where I’m sending my next cracked wood
    win7stw likes this.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    This is the other side. I really like the French Red filler.
    Ranger6 likes this.