Sure cycle Tube

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by sgwatkins, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sgwatkins

sgwatkins Copper BB

New member here. Found this web site while researching a problem for my maxus.

I have been having issues with my maxus in the dove field and in the duck blind. When you fire that first round, the second round chambers like it should but when you try to fire that second round, the trigger acts as if the safety is on! After a few seconds, it will fire when the trigger is pulled. This is very aggravating trying to get that second rounds off in a hurry. :evil:

I was told that I should purchase a sure cycle tube. What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

SGW
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey SGW, welcome to the browning owners community!! I own Maxus sporting and used it about every weekend skeet shooting. As i started to get more into international skeet shooting i was trying to get faster on my reaction time and started running into a similar issue as you described above. first round would go off, cycle for the next and then it felt as if the safety went on. took the maxus apart a bunch of times to ensure everything was lubed/working properly, couldn't really find any issues. then i had my buddies use it one weekend and it shot flawless. i realized that i was trying to react to fast and after the first shot i was putting to much pressure on the trigger for it to fully re-cock. after i noticed what i was doing, haven't had an issue since. Never really looked into upgrading the gas system or the trigger. not sure how much the gas system upgrade would help since it cycles fine but a trigger upgrade could potentially help.
  3. sgwatkins

sgwatkins Copper BB

What king of trigger upgrades are available?
  4. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Others have posted that the actual safety may not be taken off fully. Some say the slide safety is sensitive and has to be pushed off fully or it can hang slightly on the next shot. I just make sure I hear the "snap" when I take it off. But also, a full release of the trigger is required for proper reset.

I've fired about 100 rounds through mine and have not had this issue. It was made in mid to late 2013. I only mention that because there may be slight changes in their mfg process. I've already identified a different shell lifter that Browning has used in earlier and later models.
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

What is a sure cycle tube? My Google search returned a choke tube, I doubt that has anything to do with your issue.
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

7. kdubinwa

kdubinwa .22LR

Hunted my new Maxus for the first time two weeks ago, after careful initial cleaning and light lube with Break Free CLP. Gun refused to fire multiple times on third shell, occasionally on second. Shells always ejected and loaded from magazine properly, yet trigger would not depress. I tried cycling the safety back on and off and then the trigger would respond every time. There is definitely a trigger trap problem related to the safeties on these guns still.

Browning paid to ship my gun to the factory for a new trigger and some range testing. I really hope this gets resolved as I bought this gun after fighting various Benelli SBE II jams and failures to cycle over the past few years.
  8. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Keep us posed kdubinwa on what happens. Seems like this would be an easy fix - the safety slide is just machined too close...

I've shot mine at the skeet range 125 rounds and not a single issue that I didn't cause.
  9. kdubinwa

kdubinwa .22LR

I'll report back when Browning returns my shotgun.

Funny, but I didn't have any issues with a quick breakin at the range on a mixed box of shells in moderate temps. I was testing cycling with trap, dove, and goose loads from 2 3/4 low brass to 3 1/2 mags.... no issues.

In cold weather a week later it didn't want me shooting 3 times when the geese had feet down.