Sourcing Replacement Barrel

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Mike_romeo_bravo, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Mike_romeo_bravo

Mike_romeo_bravo Copper BB

I was able to obtain a 1933 FN made A5 at a local estate auction last year for a price I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to preview it prior to winning but took a chance anyways due to the price. When I got it home I noticed someone swapped the barrel from a standard 2-3/4" to a 3-inch magnum with a Cutts compensator. I'd like to put a original 2-3/4" barrel back on her preferably.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where I might be able to source a period correct barrel? Short of that does anyone know what replacement barrels would be compatible with my action/receiver?

Appreciate the help!
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ebay would be a good place to start. The jap made barrels will usually fit, but there may be some cases where that doesn't work out. You could also call Art and talk to him, I'm sure he could get one for you, and if there is a problem then send it to him and he will fix it.
  3. daniel11994

daniel11994 .22LR

It's worth bearing in mind that the 2.3/4" barrel and the 3" barrels aren't direct swap in parts since the ring on the barrel that slides over the magazine tube is in a different place on each gun.
    The inside of the forends between a standard and magnum gun are therefore different as the magnum takes 5 frictions rings while the standard contains only 2. There is approximately 2" more open space inside the magnum forend to accomodate the further forward barrel ring and extra friction rings.

If you are able to source a 2.3/4" barrel you'll also need a 2.3/4" forend to go with it. You'll also only need 2 of the rings currently in your "magnum converted" A5
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have a standard Jap 2-3/4” barrel I’d consider letting go