Purchasing Options

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Curtis McPherson, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Curtis McPherson

Curtis McPherson Copper BB

Other then the online gun places like Gunbroker, GI, Cabela's, and others. Where should I be looking to find a Superposed for sale? Pawn shop's , word of mouth?? I'm in the Midwest, STL, MO.
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Very nice pieces. If your serious about collecting and really learning about Superposed pay attention to any posts and threads you see from “Anatidae” either here or SGW and you will put some puzzle pieces together and really improve you of the subject.
    Curtis McPherson likes this.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Slip of thumbs meant to be next post down
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Aussie - I appreciate your very kind acknowledgement.

Curtis - I am happy you have interest in the Superposed guns. I am somewhat flattered by your avatar, but I prefer people not use my personal photos without permission. Perhaps you were unaware that that photo and the gun both belong to me.

Relative to 'Purchasing Options':
    I WILL share that I used to wonder how the 'big fish' found and acquired the wonderful examples in books like The BrowninG Superposed by Ned Schwing or the Auto-V book by Shirley and Vanderlinden. But, I don't now, after having studied the Superposed, FN history, the engravers, and the collectable gun market for several years.

I am fortunate to have met some like-minded aficionados and have grown a small collecting pool of 6-7 collecting acquaintances and friends both in the US and abroad. I also am fortunate to have had (and still have) some mentors who shared (or continue to share) their knowledge and experience with me. It doesn't hurt to have a trustworthy dealer that can aid in your education about the guns - realizing whether 'good' or 'bad' experiences depends on both your respective levels of knowledge - it will be educational, no doubt.

As result, I have concluded that "Certain guns find those who are most passionate about their details (their artistic, aesthetic, and historical aspects)."

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  5. Curtis McPherson

Curtis McPherson Copper BB

Thanks for the info, I have the book. As for the picture I just googled browing superposed pictures. I removed it, not a big deal.
  6. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I understand and appreciate that. Thanks for your honesty and respectfulness.

I can't blame you for being attracted to that pre-war FN D4. It is unique and is a mesmerizingly fascinating piece of FN history. I actually passed it up in 2007. When it came back to the same shop (in trade) in 2014, I took that as a 'sign'.......that some things are just meant to be. The game scenes and engraving just haunted me. I was in a better financial position in 2014 (retired) so, I bought it. No regrets. It helped solidify another area of interest of mine - 'subject matter of dogs & birds' which includes the FN D4, pre-war Diana variation II, 1950's Gr IV, Pointer Grades, and 3 or 4 special order Gr V's I've encountered.

Moving on. Maybe if you end-up with the Pointer, that'll make a good avatar photo.

The Superposed book will pay for itself in the money saved on examples that are not what they are advertised as. It is an invaluable resource to equip one with the knowledge of the details and production history.

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  7. Along with the Superposed guns I've recently acquired came a copy of Schwing's treatise. It immediately cleared up a couple of misunderstandings, including the year of mfg on the older 12g. Well worth searching for one!
    Curtis McPherson likes this.