Problem with X Bolt receiver and Burris bases

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Jim Hurley, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Jim Hurley

Jim Hurley Copper BB

I just purchased my first Browning rifle a new current production X Bolt Stalker Long Range in .243 Winchester. I had planned on mounting a Ziess Conquest 3.5 x 10 x 44 on Burris Trumount 2 piece bases and Burris Signature rings. But when I took the rifle to my work bench I found that Burris had supplied all 8 of the base mounting screws in the same length and my X Bolt has shallower mounting holes in the 2 most forward holes in the receiver requiring shorter screws in these 2 holes. Upon closer inspection I found that all 4 of the rear mounting screws bottom with 5 1/2 turns and that 3 of the 4 rear holes do not penetrate the receiver while the forward right hand hole on the rear mount is drilled completely thru the receiver (although it is not tapped all the way through). On the forward mount the 2 rear screws bottom at 5 1/2 turns and the 2 front screws bottom at 2 1/2 turns. All of the forward holes are drilled blind and none penetrate the receiver. I called Burris first and they confirmed that I had the correct bases and they were not aware that different length screws were required. They are going to look into it and I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow. Next I called Browning to ask if my receiver strength was compromised by being drilled completely thru. No one was there that was able to address my issue and I'm supposed to call back tomorrow. I'm more concerned about the receiver than the screw lengths. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the receiver? And yes I'm aware that there are many other bases available from brands other than Burris. Again I'm more concerned about the seemingly erratic Browning factory drilling and tapping of my receiver than the base screw lengths.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Jim !!

Enjoy our community...

As far as your question...don't know what to tell you.

Let us know what Burris and Browning say...