Opinions needed for scope choice on my BAR

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Marty55, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Marty55

Marty55 Copper BB

I am at a a dichotomy. I have two Leupold scopes. The first came with the rifle (270Win) it is a VariX-IIC 3-9x50 with a fine duplex reticle. The other is a VX3L 4.5-14x50 with light German#4 reticle. I'm leaning towards the VX3 as it has improved coatings. Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed. The pic is the VX.Thanks,Marty
    leupold_67885_vx_3l_4_5_14x50_illuminated_german_1034979 (1).jpg
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I personally like the one above...
  3. Have you tried screwing screws into the mounting holes yet? I had 2 brand new BARs that had to be sent back because of messed up unusable mounting holes. Very little quality control on the new Browning rifles. As far as scopes go. The selection of mounting rails and rings is limited. I bought the Browning rings which are 125.00 and bases which are 50.00. Louopld doesn't make a mount for that gun anymore that isn't quick release. Not a big fan.. But on a semi, go for the scope with a larger tube and objective.. Semi auto is only as useful as your ability to stay on target. Larger tube (12mm) and objective (44mm) min. Is my choice.
  4. Red reticle is tough to see in low light. Darker the better. Vortex is best bang for your buck
  5. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

I just put a Steiner gs3 on my bar. It's in your price range, and I think it is much better than my Leupold vx-6. Comparable to my buddy's Leica and Kahles scopes. I'm not sure what your intended use is, but a 4.5x on the low end is tough for hunting.