Old 16 gauge 2 9/16 chamber and RST SHELLS

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I plan on doing that. I don’t think that has anything to do with shell sticking in barrel, however, at this point I’m not sure. Maybe trying this 69 forearm will give me answers.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What do you mean by ground out?
  3. Ranger6

Rudolph31 are you talking about first picture? That would be original barrel and forearm from art for 2 9/16 chamber gun. Look at picture of both barrels side by side. Both have ramp but barrel from numrich has the wider lug as you can see in picture. Not sure why it’s different. Damn FN and their changes.
  4. Ranger6

I was just racking my brain and I shot this 1909 right after I got it and it cycled and extracted just fine. I then put the forearm from art on and then never fired it again, until now. Maybe I need to put old forearm and old barrel back on and try again. I know I spoke to art about another barrel that I had for 1909 and it didn’t fit. Sent him pictures and all, he said WTF? I can’t explain that.......
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If you watch the video at the 9:30 mark of this video Art shows grinding out the barrel extension. I am curious if yours has been modified.

6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks like the barrel is sitting too far forward to me.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree this one looks correct.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, I deleted it since I posted in the middle of a slew of photos you were posting.

Obviously the barrel is sitting too far forward for an unmodified 65mm gun. A 70mm gun would have an enlarged ejection port and the bolt handle wouldn’t be up against it.
    win7stw likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Looked at barrel tonight and it doesn’t appear to have had any work done on it, as art did in the video.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Any updates?
  11. Ranger6

No I’m kind of at a loss. I believe the problem is the forearm and this barrel lug being wider on the replacement barrel from numrich. I’m gonna think about it for a couple weeks. I will probably send it to art after holiday shipping rush. I’m sure he can cut this barrel lug down to match original barrel, so I can have one forearm.
  12. Ranger6

Ok update gents: finally got around to the 1909 again. Spent several days running things thru my head. Swapped barrels several times and measured it all again. These are the findings.
    Original barrel lug( on ramp) is positioned different then any of the other 5 barrels that I bought and at least 3 others from old guns that I looked at. Not sure why, probably never find out. Still got one more contact with a1910 that will hopefully measure for me.
    Installed barrel that I had chokes put in, and as stated prior, the rst shells would fire but leave spent hull in the chamber. Mind you I put a forearm that I got from art on this barrel and it sticks out of receiver about as close as can be from other pictures I have seen, being correct for short chamber gun.
    Manually cycled gun and bolt would not lock back in open position. Problem: locking block latch from 2 piece carrier installed. Replaced locking block latch. Cycle again, locks back like it should.
    Next to extractor: inspected left-ok. Right looks ok. Little dull compared to sweet 16. ( sweet 16 fires rst shells fine). Removed right extractor to inspect and replace. Extractor has changed since 1909. Removed spring and it was half the length of new one. Decided to check against sweet 16 and found it was same length as new one. During removal of sweet 16 spring I found a pin inside. Sure made it easier to put it back together. Looked at MWG website and looks like something is there, but hard to tell. If you look up extractor in diagram, click on it, it brings up extractor spring follower, looks like dog carrier follower, but not what I have in my sweet16. The sweet 16 is all original and never been apart.
    Anyway I put a pin in the spring on 1909 and installed extractor. ( ordered extractor spring follower from MWG. See what it looks like this week.)
    Took 1909 to shoot skeet today, only had time for one round but, it extracted all 25 shells like clock work.
  13. Ranger6

On to the next problem: when loading 4 shells it will fire, extract and eject all but the last shell. Last shell gets struck about half way out of chamber opening with bolt closed on plastic part of hull. I believe it’s the ejector in the barrel, as it moves and it shouldn’t because it’s a 2 9/16 chamber barrel. More to follow on that:
    So my question is has anyone replaced right extractor and was pin or spring follower there with spring?
  14. Ranger6

1909 is fixed: here are my findings- at last problem gun would not eject last shell when fired if 4 were loaded into tube. New friction ring added- no difference. Inspected steel ring around friction ring and found that the gap measured about .026. Installed new steel ring and gap closed to .016 thousands. Shooting rst shells which by them are considered light loads. Set up friction rings for heavy loads. At last shooting recoil was to much. Put one drop of 30 weight oil on tube and wiped with clean rag. Shot one round of skeet, never missed a beat. Recoil soft as should be.
  15. Ranger6

Other things to note. Ejector in 2 9/16 barrel is moveable. Should be fixed, from what I’ve seen. Maybe not that important after all. I had been using clp on other A5’s and it works. However if you google clp it will tell you it has anti friction additive. Not so good on friction operated guns. 30 weight oil is sticky to the touch. Clp is not. Anyway 30 weight is going on all mine from now on.
    On another note from previous post: this is one of the fastest cycling guns I have ever shot when set up correctly.
    On to the next A5