New To The Forum, But Not My First "Rodeo"

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by pendennis, Feb 4, 2016.

1. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

I've been a shooter of all types of firearms for over 50 years. Starting out in high school in ROTC, I was introduced to the M1 Garand, 1911-A1, M1 Carbine, and other military weapons. After high school, and some college, I went on active duty in the U.S. Navy, and really got a flavor for the M14, M60, 1911-A1, "Ma Deuce", and a few others.

I was introduced to the Hi Power during a session on a private firing range in the early '70's. The Hi Power was a very nice pistol, but I was still enamored to the 1911. I wasn't fond of the 9mm, so the Hi Power was pretty much off the table. Fast forward to 2010, and I was in love with the .40 S&W. I then bought a couple of Hi Powers in that caliber. It just seemed that the .40 SW wasn't the caliber for the Hi Power, so I sold them both.

Fast forward to 2015, and I was re-introduced to the 9mm; first via the S&W M&P CORE, which I converted to 9mm from .40 S&W. Then, I started to look at the 1911 in terms of 9mm. I've bought several 1911's, full-size, Commander, Commander-type, and compact. Not only is the 9mm less expensive to shoot, the performance has improved vastly over the last 30 years. It compares favorably to my overall favorite, the 1911 chambered in Super .38.

Well, you can't like 9mm, and omit the Hi Power as a logical platform. I solved that problem yesterday, buying a near mint Hi Power Practical, manufactured in 2000.

So, here I am; anxious to learn more about this fine pistol.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum sir...!!