New old Browning

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by zebra62, Oct 12, 2013.

1. zebra62

zebra62 Copper BB

I just inherited my Dad'd old Browning and I am looking to learn more about it.I had though for the longest time it was a regular A-5, but it may be an A-5 light. The seriel number (936XX) is on the bottom of the receiver fwd of the loading port.

[​IMG]

On the right side of the barrel is "MADE IN BELGIUM"
    On the left side of the barrel is "BROWNING ARMS COMPANY ST. LOUIS MO"
    "SPECIAL STEEL 12 GA SHELLS 2 3/4 1x ( or k ) g 299 jtf " then some unrecognizable characters.

I hope someone can tell me a little more about it. Dad said he bought it new when he was 16 and he is 76 now. I'll post more pics of it tomorrow when the sun comes back out and hopefully the rain moves on.
  2. zebra62

zebra62 Copper BB

Got some pics of the Old Humpback today after cleaning it up a bit.

Left side with good shot of Browning engraving. It had so much crud built up in the engraving on the receiver, most of it looked like smooth metal before I cleaned it.
    [​IMG]

Right side of receiver. All of the hardware has been damged at some point and needs replacing. This one even shows some scratching in the receiver where a screwdriver slipped and ran across the receiver. I can see my Dad doing something like this. He doesn't have much mechanical ability.
    [​IMG]

The forend is cracked and needs replacement. Crack runs from the very rear edge up about 3/4 to the front.

[​IMG]

Etchings on the bottom of the trigger group and more damaged hardware an lots of pitting.

[​IMG]

Scratches and damaged finish on left side of stock.

[​IMG]

Ding on the muzzle

[​IMG]

The action was kinda sluggish before I cleaned it up because of all the old solidified oil all over everything. I had the barrel, forend and stock off today to clean it better, but with the damage on the hardware, I couldn't get the rest of it apart. Two cans of brake cleaner and a good coating of oil later, the action is much smoother. Still have LOTS to do.
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Your Auto-5 is a standard weight 12 ga. ("H" in serial number is standard weight, "G" is lightweight for that year.) Your Auto-5 was made in 1956.
  4. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

It is so cool you actually possess your Dad's gun. Remember, they are only original once, and as a curator in Cody Wyoming informed me, less is best when it comes to any form of "restoration".
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome back zebra62...

Looks like it needs lots of TLC...