New Member Starting a Superposed Collection

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by SuperposedFanboy, Oct 11, 2023.

1. I also posted this in the new members forum:

After surfing a couple of sites I found you folks. I've owned a modern Citori Hunter for quite awhile, shooting trap and skeet. I've just added:

a 1951 Superposed 12g Trap Grade 1, 30" barrels with fixed full/mod, completely unmodified (other than a red bead). The bottom extractor was repaired/replaced at Arts several years ago. The gun shows some wear as it was a primary shooter for years; I plan to do the same with it. Also,

a 1967 Superposed 12g Trap Pigeon Grade, 30" barrels to which Briley added interchangeable chokes. Yes, it was a salt gun that Browning repaired. The new stock was then cast to the right and more drop added to aid in sporting clays, the work being done by Michael Murphy & Sons of Kansas. This gun is in very good condition but will see plenty of use at the clays field.

Both guns belonged to my FIL but he's beginning to pass on his modest collection. I'm honored to be the new caretaker of these guns.

I also added a DeHaan 28g O/U that I'll use for skeet. It'll be my "starter" sub-gauge for that pursuit while I hunt for a Browning 28g, hopefully another Superposed. Thanks for being a friendly and helpful group.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome sir, we have one of the most knowledgeable guys on Superposed. I'm sure he will be along shortly. He is a wealth of good information that you don't see often, and a nice person to boot. He also has some amazing talent building cases.
  3. Curtis McPherson

Curtis McPherson Copper BB

That's a great start to a collection. It gets addicting.
  4. This is the original Browning case for the '67 IMG_2451.jpeg
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Yes, wonderful start. They are quite addictive.

It’s interesting to see how other folks get started into Superposed (and other) guns.

When I was finally able to start ‘collecting’ at 58 my initial goal was a Gr I ‘slam’ - a RKLT Gr I in each gauge. Prior to that, I had owned a S73 30” Broadway and still had a J70 28” f/m - neither of which were RKLT.

Long story, short - I never completed the slam. I had 2 V3’s, a ‘61 20ga Pigeon, and a J5 skeet but the slam was completely derailed by the appearance and rare opportunity at a pre-war Diana. After that, I had opportunities at a couple of F4 field guns but elected to save ‘28ga money’ for other high grade examples.

So congratulations on the Gr I and Pigeon. Maybe your interests will take a similar course or opportunities will dictate or help you establish a focus toward a specific area of interest……or interests. Familiarized yourself with the details and production history and you will learn what’s original, and what’s been modified. Buy the highest condition ‘honest’ guns at reasonable values that you can justify - they will hold their value better.

There’s a gun out there for everyone based on their respective knowledge of the details, history, and the market. Sites like Guns International are a general indicator of prices certain guns are NOT selling for unless you monitor activity daily. Not everyone can (or cares to) spend that much time ‘looking’. But the more desirable examples at reasonable prices usually last less than an hour, or a day, at most.

Thanks for sharing your Superposed guns with us.

Happy Hunting!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  6. Thanks for the warm welcome A-dae. It sounds like you had an original plan with a couple of detours. I backed into my Browning journey but now I'm kinda hooked. My oldest stepson is quite the shooter and sportsman...he's a warden with CDFW and there's no keeping up with him! He has quite an interesting collection of both modern and old from varied mfgrs. He favors the 16 but has begun to add 28s, many in the SxS flavor. I may follow him down the sub-gauge rabbit hole which will, of course, necessitate reloading. Oh well, I'm retired and need something else to do!

Quick question for anybody familiar with the shooting scene in SoCal: I'm in Ventura County and looking for a club or other shooting venue. Other than Oaktree which is commercial (a club I've watched grow from small to a very busy op) it's tough to find somewhere that isn't as busy as an LA Frwy! I'm going to check out North Hollywood Sportsman Club tomorrow (not located in No Hollywood LOL) but there's not a lot available for trap/skeet. Thanks in advance for chiming in.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

This will sound weird coming from so far intercontinental South . Seen some recent YouTube of LA Clays. Looks pretty neat place with skeet,trap and sporting.
    My Aussie shooting buddy went there 5 yrs back while in LA on vacation and gave it big thumbs up.
  8. Thanks for the reply Auzzie. LA Clays is now owned by Oaktree, not a bad thing, just saying. I, also, have heard good things and their prices are a bit less than Oaktree with a senior club discount. The issue would be distance and more importantly, drive time with traffic. I ended up joining North Hollywood Sportsman Club. Reasonable rates, a bit over an hour drive time, laid back friendly bunch...a true club vs a commercial operation. Small basic facilities with 3 trap and 1 skeet. Shot 28g skeet yesterday with a small, friendly, helpful crew...exactly what I was looking for. Planned schedule will be Wed trap and Sun skeet. That'll keep me busy! LOL
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like you have found a suitable place. I will put it in my book of places to check out for a holiday visit one day. That schedule will certainly keep you busy and you will get pretty good quickly and learn lot of fundamentals that can help your wing shooting.
    One thing there is never any shortage of at gun clubs is coaching and free advice . Trick is to determine what works for you and who to listen to. Lol
    Enjoy the clay journey
  10. Quite right! Interestingly enough, the trap side was friendly but serious...very serious. The skeet field...super friendly, great tips and points, lots of joking and even a cigar smoker or two. My 28 is going to get a workout over there!
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Yes 28 is a great gauge for skeet just way too expensive to even contemplate over here now days.

I also have a 67 grade 1. Special Trap 30” Slightly different to yours.
    Same gun but FN world market variant. It has beaver tail forend and flat knob stock. The recievers are only edge border engraved with plain blued sides and long tang trigger guard. Hinge pin pattern is the same.
    Mine has been pretty heavily modified to Briley
    thin wall chokes and converted to mechanical triggers so could use a 410 tube set for skeet in the day.
  12. So, just an update on the guns and fun…I’ve been shooting regularly on Wed, Sat, & Sun. Very fun as I get better. Mostly skeet with both the 28 and the ‘67 12ga Superposed. I’ve spoken again with my FIL about his knowledge of the gun histories. After contacting Browning about a history search I’ve been told it may be six months out before I even receive a reply…oh well.

The ‘51 was bought back around ‘03 from a woman whose father may have been the original owner. Pretty cool! My FIL sent it back to Art’s to have the lower ejector replaced. I’m considering sending it back out to Art’s for a full rebuild, it’s very difficult to break open after it gets warm. Other than a Galazan pad this gun has not been modified and I intend to keep it that way. It’s a shooter for sure, but I’ll be reloading 12 in lower pressure just to make sure it remains in good shape.

The ‘67 was bought second hand back around ‘96 from Sportsman’s Exchange in Oxnard CA. We think an attorney from Goleta bought it new, returned it to Browning for a salt stock exchange, and then sold/traded it on. He wrote his name in “magic marker” on the back of the case so I do have his name. As mentioned before, my FIL had Briley put interchangeable chokes in it and had the stock dropped and cast for sporting clays. It’s a great shooter but since it has been modified from original I’m considering having an adjustable comb cut in so that I can really dial it in; maybe even some tubes for sub gauges.

I’m “late to the game” when it comes to these sports and don’t really intend on getting too deep with expensive examples. I rather enjoy the fact that my guns are older (the ‘51 is a couple years older than me!) and they are often a topic of interest for others. Thanks for hosting a great site.
  13. Hey Aussie. I thought I had replied to your post but apparently not…sorry about that.

My ‘67 is kind of a hybrid. It has the later flat knob but the long tang. It’s the traditional trap rib, not the Broadway.