need help with a Browning auto 5 super light

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by cbhogan13, Jun 7, 2016.

1. cbhogan13

cbhogan13 Copper BB

So recently picked this up its an fn made browning a5, i thought it was a good deal but looked a little off and just figured it much have been refinished. after some research it appears to be an a5 super light weight and does have an aluminum receiver and i believe it is high grade as it does have engravings (I believe pattern 1) and a gold trigger but this is about all the info i can find on it and just wondered if anyone could give me anymore information. anything at all will be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Don't know any information for you on the firearm, but it sure is purty-fied! :)

These guns wear scribe work very well, in my humble opinion.
  3. cbhogan13

cbhogan13 Copper BB

thanks! and yah it looks very different in the alloy receiver finish but I really like it. Just wish I knew more about this one but the information that's out there on these is limited at best from what I can find
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...looks great !!

As far as your question, I'll leave that to the A5 expert(s).
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

I haven't seen an A5 like that before. Very nice engraving!
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

According to the S/V book, (available here: http://www.fnbrowning.com/#!browning-auto-5-shotguns/ef7a2) your Super Lightweight has Type 1 engraving (the "1" in the serial number) and was produced in 1969 (the small "69" in the serial). Only 3 engraving patterns are documented, and I had to look close to see the differences.

It also says that the guns were prone to flaking of the finish and cracking of the butt stock. The problems were "reduced or eliminated" by 1972 by heat treating the receivers and using denser wood.

If I were you, I'd put it on display and only shoot it occasionally with light loads.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Setters4life likes this.
  7. cbhogan13

cbhogan13 Copper BB

thanks for the info and yah this one has just been sitting in my safe and doubt its gonna see any shells. I've thought about buying that books to try to get some more info but 65 is quiet a a lot to pay sadly. been really trying to tag down the number of these that are over here but that just might be wishful thinking