My first Browning!

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Caavy, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

Hi Everyone ... I am new to shotguns as a result of an old friend gifting me one ... I know very little about guns and wanted to start by actually identifying my gun! I went onto the Browning website to try and identify my gun but evidently I am not smart enough because I didn't get to an answer ... so hoping someone here is more capable than I!

Here is what I know from the gun

It's a 20 ga. over and under
    There are fixed chokes (modified and IC ... that much I was able to figure out!)
    The serial number is 46379 V7
    It was made in Belgium

That's all I know ... I have never even fired the gun!

Welcome any direction from those of you who are knowledgeable about all things Browning!

Thanks a lot for any help to get me started!

Ian
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Ian !!

Pictures of both sides of the firearm and photo's of all inscriptions WILL help us help you....

Enjoy the forum !!
  3. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

Excellent thank you! ... Here are some pics I just took ... hope it will help you all help me!

IMG_7247.jpg IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7255.jpg IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7261.jpg IMG_7262.JPG IMG_7263.jpg IMG_7266.jpg
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow -- your friend must really love you. That's a 20 gauge Superposed, made in 1967 and worth in the neighborhood of $2000. Maybe more, I'm not an expert on Superposeds. The current Citori is a simplified (cheaper) version of this classic John Browning design. Production was moved from Belgium to Japan in the '70s. But the FN Custom Shop will still build you one for about $25,000.

This reference is better than the Browning website:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

I urge you to get firearm safety training and some shotgun-specific coaching. Enjoy your treasure!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice pics....and there is your reply !!

Thanks Rudolph...
  6. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

Wow!!! Thanks Rudolph indeed! The information is very much appreciated as was the approximate value which I had not idea! I will be sure to let my friend know and return the favor back to him one day. I guess I really have my friend's wife to thank ... his uncle passed away and my friend is not a hunter but knew I was an outdoorsman but mainly a fisherman ... his wife said that there was no way that she would have a gun in her house ... and hence my gift! I will be sure to pass along the info to him to as he will most certainly be interested in hearing.

Thanks again Rudolph!

Cheers

Ian
  7. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

Thanks too Shooter13! Glad I came upon this site!
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A warning about Salt Wood. In the '60s Browning turned to salt curing of stocks and created a nightmare of corrosion on Superposeds from 1967-72. Browning almost went bankrupt with the warranty work. They'll still repair or replace any salt gun turned in by the original owner. Of course, if it's replaced it'll be with a Citori, not another Super.
    Here is a quote from another site:

"According to Schwing's interviews with Browning's Harm Williams and
    Val Browning, all the salt curing was done in the US and affected at
    least 90% of all Browning stocks from made from 1967 to 1969. The
    problem continued to show up until 1972, but in smaller numbers. It
    was then that the entire supply of walnut blanks was burned and
    replaced with traditional kiln dried wood.

To detect salt wood on 1966 to 1972 guns, first check for outward
    appearance of dark or discolored spots. Check every place that wood
    meets metal, as on the rear of the forend and at the head of the
    stock. Rust on the metal will be apparent if there is a problem.
    According to Schwing, the definitive test is to remove the butt
    pad/plate, scrape away a little wood from the exposed butt and apply a
    1% solution of silver nitrate to the fresh wood. If the silver nitrate
    remains light purple, there is no salt. If the silver nitrate turns
    white, you have a salt gun."

Art's Gun Shop has a great video on it also:

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

In my original post I thought 1967 was too early for salt, but that's when it started. Sorry.
  9. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

This is very interesting indeed ... I put the gun away last year after it was given to me ... I put it in a silicon impregnated gun sock in a gun safe that is dry as a bone ... when I took it out just recently there was rust where the stock met the metal ... I was actually shocked by this because when I put it away it there was no rust and I assume my friend's uncle always kept it clean/dry and maybe knew about this fact. When I saw the rust it made absolutely no sense to me but I did my best to gently clean it off as best I could and oiled everything. When I just read your note now I had an ah-ha moment ... so what can I do ... just ensure I take it out of the safe every few months and re-oil?

Cheers

Ian
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Unfortunately, you will have to replace the stock and destroy the old one. The original owner can send it to Browning, but it might be years he gets it back. I'd send it to Art's. Got to his website and watch the salt wood video. If you send it to him, the gun will look like new when it's returned. The alternative is a ruined gun.
  11. Caavy

Caavy Copper BB

Wow ... the original owner has since died ... sorry, Art's? I am also in Canada ... I assume his shop is in US?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Missouri. At the very least remove the wood until you decide what to do.