Matted barrels....how common?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by In The Ten Ring, Nov 28, 2016.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

So how common was the matted barrel? I may be using the wrong term......this is the checkering on the top of plain barrels (barrels without a rib).

I have never seen one for a full choke barrel. Was this option available with a full choke?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A quick check of my display case shows the first one on a 1937 Sweet Sixteen, but nothing on a 1953 standard 12. A look at the S/V book says the matte barrel was first offered on the Sweet and later offered on other gauges. I thought it became standard eventually. I will look at the guns in the safe later and see what we have.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

1947 standard twelve -- No. 1965 Light Twelve -- Yes.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I asked because I almost never see a matted barrel for sale on gunbroker. Granted that's probably not the best source but it's about my only way to come across much of anything.
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I think matted barrels look super cool on a par with vented barrels.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It's all adornment. I couldn't remember which of my shotguns have the matte rib, which have vent ribs, and which were plain because when I shoot them I don't notice those things. I don't think they contribute anything practical. As usual, YMMV.
  7. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I must agree. When I am shooting I am focusing on the front sight and lining it up with the back of the receiver.....I do not notice anything in between.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Great technique for shooting slugs, the best way I know to miss when shooting clays. Learning to shoot a shotgun, I had to unlearn lifelong rifle and pistol skills and focus on the target.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Maybe so but I don't shoot clays, I shoot squirrels and turkeys with my shotguns. :cool:
    Rudolph31 likes this.