luftwaffe officers with their Browning auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

I thought I will share with you this picture of the Luftwaffe officers with their Browning auto-5. I am not supporting Nazism but the photo shows how popular the auto-5 was. In the center is Adolf Galland the flying ace.
    B.T.W. I wonder what gauge was their Browning

[​IMG]
    DB Williams likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Cool pic. I recommend Galland’s book, “The First and the Last”. He eventually became the chief of the new Luftwaffe in the 1950’s.

The Auto-5’s look like 12’s to me. The 16 had a shorter receiver and part of the barrel extension is visible on those.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

What is the subject of the book. Apparently Galland was not a convinced Nazi, which put him difficult situations with the high authorities of the regime.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The book is about his experiences in the Luftwaffe, commanding a bf109 squadron in the Battle of Britain, his struggles with the high command — they insisted on offensive bombers when he saw the need for fighters. And his eventual exile to command the Experten, a squadron of high scoring pilots flying the ME262 jet fighter. I read it many years ago. He was the prototypical fighter pilot. I wonder if he ever shot at my dad...
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree that they are 12’s. I don’t support Nazism either but how sweet would it be to have an Auto 5 with Nazi markings on it?
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t think there are any. Production stopped with the occupation of Belgium, and the German army didn’t need shotguns. But there are HiPowers with waffenamts.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  7. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

I read somewhere many years ago that Luftwaffe pilots used clay pigeon shooting as a training aid to hone lead and offset shooting skills. A friend of mine here in the UK has an FN over and under 12 gauge that does have Luftwaffe eagle marks stamped on the receiver and barrel alongside the Belgian proof marks. From memory it’s a non-ejector extractor mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I wouldn’t be surprise that pilote trained on clay pigeon during the Second War. On this original footage at 6 minutes 43 secondes you can see WW1 airplane crews doing just that.

I always been convinced that the F.N., during the war, produce some fine sporting firearms for the Nazi high hierarchy. It would be very interesting to have some pics, if possible, of your friend superposed. As far as I know, it will be the first time we see a sporting firearm stamped with a Luftwaffe eagle marks.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Air Corps started aerial gunnery training with Skeet. The Remington Model 11 was often used, and one so marked will add $1000 to the asking price.

They also used cartoons:

win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Have you ever seen a US marked model 11?

I might need one of those
  11. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

Biz, I’ll try to get out into the country and see him later in the summer, I’d be interested to see if he’s still got it - he’s a farmer in rural Dorset and you never quite know if all the hardware they have is on their shotgun certificate, if you know what I mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, on gunbroker, and in my friend’s basement. He has a collection that would turn a museum curator green with envy.
  13. Biz

Biz 20g

Well, may be you can do a virtual tour of your friend basement for us. It will be very interesting and may be his wife will find that interesting and turn green as well.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I needed space on my phone, so I deleted all the photos, thinking I had them on my iPad. Turns out, I didn’t.

Imagine about 2000 square feet of space crammed with just about every arm from the 1700’s to the present. Rifles, pistols, and machine guns.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

That must be something to see. Can you get insurance in the U.S. for such a collection?
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t know, Biz. He’s got a vault door on his basement, and it would take a long time to steal it all. Not sure if it’s protected from fire.

By the way, I found a bargain on a US ordnance marked Model 11. It’s at a bargain price, but probably because some idiot engraved his name on the receiver.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866012645
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Id be all over that if the stock hadn’t been cut and the bonus engraving
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You enablers have me looking at the American Brownings built by Remington. I really need to stop visiting this site
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just wait until you get your C&R. You'll be buying guns you never knew you wanted. Getting guns delivered to your door just doesn't get old.