Is this an original A5 buttstock?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by In The Ten Ring, Oct 10, 2015.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That's a popular stock in Europe. And that's a "World Market" Auto-5, probably purchased by a serviceman at a PX in Germany. So yes, it's original. I have one just like it from 1939 on a pre First War shotgun with a 1929 barrel. I call it FrankenFive.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Wow that's great. Does the single asterisk on the barrel mean "full" choke?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

One for Full, 2 Modified, 3 Cylinder. A minus sign and 2 stars for improved cylinder.
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I thought so but didn't know if markings in this case might be different. Thanks. :)
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

They lowered the price on the next auction run and guess who bought it. :) Now I'll have to buy 16 gauge shells.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Congratulations! You're going to like your new 16. The best deal on ammo is Herter's from Cabela's.
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Never seen a Monte Carlo stock on an Auto 5, before. Interesting. I wish I could get an MC stock for one of my rifles... unfortunately, most of them are right handed, and I am wrong handed.
  9. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Awesome- Congratulations!
  10. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

The shotgun came in last week and I picked it up today. (Seller refused to send it to my C&R). It is a sharp looking piece and received some compliments in the store, including a very bright young man there with his dad. (He must have been bright, to know it was an A5!) :)

It has a few scratches and bluing wear but that's fine by me as it is for hunting. I just ordered some shells for it along with a cleaning brush.

I did notice it has the 1 piece shell elevator.....pity. I was hoping for a 2-piece so I guess that dates it pre-1957?

I hope to hunt with it next weekend. I think the 16 gauge is the right size for me....I like its overall size better than both the 20 and the 12.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

"I did notice it has the 1 piece shell elevator.....pity. I was hoping for a 2-piece so I guess that dates it pre-1957?"

Val Browning's Speed Load appeared in late 1953, but old parts got used up so a one-piece carrier was a possibility for a few years afterwards.
  12. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Well, I love the shotgun's overall size so much, along with its stocks, that I can live with the 1 piece. In time, I could send it to Art's Gun Shop for a refit. *I guess I could anyway. I hope so! :)

I ordered 2 boxes of Remington #4 lead for a hunt this weekend.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Just looked at your shotgun again. Very nice, and it is from 1960 so it should have had Speed Load. After you shoot it a while you won't miss it.

Good luck on your hunt.
  14. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Ya, I know. My two 12 gauge A5's have the single piece. I never fire that much on a hunt anyway to need a speed load. It would be nice though. Maybe I'll get it put on sometime.
  15. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I ordered 250 rounds of Fiocchi about 5 months ago, Number 5 shot lead. I haven't tried any of it yet.
    Rudolph31 likes this.