Is lead buckshot safe to use in 1967 Browning A5 Magnum Twenty

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Abbeville, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Abbeville

Abbeville .22LR

As above, my Magnum Twenty has a modified choke and I'd like to try some 2¾" and 3" lead buckshot.
    Will it damage my gun? I have replaced all the springs and friction rings etc. with a kit from MGW. I also replaced the safety button with a left hand unit. I do understand the different friction set ups.
    Thank you.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Browning says NO to steel unless you have a Jap barrel. Lots of folks do it and nothing happens to the barrel. I have watched plenty of videos of a guy in the Uk that does it in lots of different guns with no issues. Here is what you need to understand. Steel shot is harder than lots of barrels and may leave marks down the barrel if the wad does not protect (rub through). Steel shot going through a choke is not going to compress down to a particular size of choke if there is no more room in the shot column. Lead will compress and distort, but not steel. So that's why folks recommend open chokes for steel. The internet is full of truth, 1/2 truth and lies. This is a decision you will have to make on your own and suffer the consequences should there be any. The simple answer is getting a jap barrel, the right choke and then the chance of damage is less. That does not mean that you cannot bulge that barrel too, but less likely if you do things right. I see it is a mag, so 3" shells is where I am guessing you want to go. I see no reason for a 3" shell. The 2 3/4 ammo of today will do anything you need it to do. If you need more then get a 12, if still more then get a 10. The 3" mag load isn't something I want to endure a bunch anyway.
  3. Abbeville

Abbeville .22LR

I was asking about lead buckshot. I know about not using steel shot.

Post edited to add definitive information.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I see that now. Not sure what my brain was comprehending but buck shot will be fine.
    Rudolph31 and Abbeville like this.
  5. REP943

REP943 Copper BB

Since your shotgun has a modified choke and you've already replaced some of the key components, shooting 2¾" and 3" lead buckshot should be safe for your gun.

Additionally, make sure you're using the appropriate friction ring setup for the type of ammunition you're shooting. You'll want to use the heavier setup for the 3" buckshot. Inspect the barrel regularly for any signs of wear or damage, especially if you're shooting a lot of buckshot through it.

Be aware that buckshot patterns can be a bit unpredictable, especially at longer ranges. Make sure you pattern your shotgun with the buckshot you plan to use so you know how it performs.
    Abbeville likes this.