Inherited a Browning 20 gauge, Need help Getting Info

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by BigBuck, Feb 21, 2013.

1. BigBuck

BigBuck Copper BB

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this right. I have inherited a Browning 20 gauge auto from my father and it is in good condition

I believe the model number is - A7.

On the right side of the barrel is - MADE IN BELGIUM

I don't know if it means anything, but it has a gold trigger.

The serial number is - 1Z - 51416

I think I found the 1Z means it was made in 1961.

If possible I'd like to know if I'm correct for the date it was manufactured and possibly what it might be worth. and any other information that might be pertinent.
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

20 ga. Auto-5's in very good condition are selling for $1,000 or more in my neck of the woods.
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Are you able to post any pics of it? Like Setters said one in good condition can sell for 1K pretty easily.
  4. BigBuck

BigBuck Copper BB

5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

If you are looking for the choke on the barrel look on the barrel underneath where it says "Browning Arms Company......"

There should be a series of asterisks or dashes or a dollar sign. These denote what choke the muzzle is sized to. They are defined as follows:

* = full choke
    *_ = improved modified
    ** = modified
    **_ = improved cylinder
    **$ = skeet
    *** = cylinder
  6. BigBuck

BigBuck Copper BB

It has ** so I assume it's a modified choke. It has some other curious markings stamped on the barral and breach. I tried to attach some pictures. If I did it properly do you have any idea what the markings mean?

Attached Files:

7. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

** is modified choke. The true test is mike the muzzle and see what it measures.

The "E L.G" is a Liege, Belgium proofmark given to all breech loading guns. "PV" under the crown is another Liege, Belgium proofmark. It is defined as "superior nitro proof," meaning it is proofed for modern smokeless powders. "20 inside a C" designates 20 ga., 2 3/4" chambering.

All A-5 early 2 3/4" chambered "Twenty's" are considered "Light's." They have lightening holes drilled in the barrel ring that fits over the magazine tube and the inside of the receiver's sides are milled with lightening cuts. Twenty's are trim and handle well in the field. These are sweet shotguns.

Hope this helps.