Identify 3shot Browning 16ga

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by mechanic4hire3, May 7, 2017.

1. This serial number seems to be caught in the middle of several different experts. So you guys tell me what you think please.
    [​IMG]
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

3. Well the truth is I'm a debate mode on weather to purchase. Truth is yes it's is rare. That doesn't always translate to valuable. So not sure how much to pay?
    That Crack even though it is small doesn't help matters much..because that is a 3 shot the forearm will be pricey to replace.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that...

Blue Book of Gun Values...either buy it or do what I do...go to the book store and look it up once you do your homework.

I got 3 or 4 Value Books...but nothing recent enough to help you...that's why I quit buying them.
    Rob poston likes this.
  5. Thanks for that info. According to your link and to this info it's a
    1936. But no info on how many or rare this 3 shot is. I don't know if the 3 shot came with sweet 16 trim? That is the year they tested the Sweet. I dnot think this gun is a Sweet. No barrel lug holes, nor gold trigger.

1932 Introduction of the three shot Auto 3 with shorter magazine tube and shorter forearm marked “Browning 3 Shot”
    94001 – 96072

96073 – 96143

1934 Receiver legend Now with BROWNING and John M. Browning’s bust between “TRADE” and “MARK”
    96144 – 99500

99501 - 103500

1936 The "Sweet Sixteen" was released but limited to a test market.
    103501 – 105850

*1937* Introduction of the “Sweet Sixteen” sale to the public. Barrel Rib four possibilities in 1937: none, solid (hollow) rib, ventilated rib with X posts or matted finish for Sweet Sixteen (SV page 98) Barrel Ring as before or drilled with three holes on the barrels of Sweet Sixteen Safety Gold plated (Sweet Sixteen only) Trigger Gold plated (Sweet Sixteen only) Misc. “Sweet Sixteen” not separated by SN. No serial number distinction between the Sweet 16 and the Standard 16 gauge A5s.
    105850 – 111000
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Rudolph where r you when I need you.
    I can let the cat out of the bag this was a GunBroker auction where the gentleman did not know what he had, but evidently another member or a shill bidder for the guy running the auction Ran me right up to my limit. I sure hope I didn't screw up I paid after fees and everything about $900 for this gun so if it was a bad deal lie to me I'll feel better
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I was going to wait until I got home to check S/V about 3-Shot Sweets. But you already know that your gun isn't one so I guess it doesn't matter.

There aren't enough 3-Shot versions of the Auto-5 to determine price. I've only seen them in books and on the internet. So I'll say that if the gun is in good condition that you didn't overpay. If you ever want to sell it, go find "Goad" over on SGW. He's nuts about the 3-Shot.

For me, although an interesting variation, I like to load 5 shells in my Brownings and the 3-shot comes up short. I understand they are supposed to be faster handling. You can let me know about that.

You didn't say if the gun's been converted to shoot 2 3/4" ammo. For collector value, hopefully not. And I wouldn't worry about the crack in the forearm. It's easily repaired, if it hasn't been already.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Thanks Rudolph sending pm
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Got it! Gun looks to have been converted. I'm going by what appears to be a sliver of silver showing on the Barrel Extension poking out the front of the receiver.
  10. Yeah I noticed that also, but the thing is the barrel is numbers matching and is stamped 2 3/4? I think I'm even more confused...lol
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
    When converted, the barrels were typically restamped. If originally 2 9/16, 16-65 should be stamped to the right of the proof marks
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  12. By George you are the Man! Pic is not good but I see the horseshoe proof mark with what looks like 16-? Probably 69.
    So I'm guessing this gun being converted is a good thing?
    [​IMG]
    upload album
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The choices are -65 (2 9/16) or -70 (2 3/4). For a shooter, the conversion is a good thing. For a collectible, original condition is important. Check to see if the ejector slides, they're fixed on guns with short chambers.
  14. Even though you can't make the numbers out. I can still see a little radius curve of reflection of light no way one of those numbers is a seven. So let me get this straight what we're trying to accomplish you're telling me that if it's stamped 16/65 it was an original 2 9/16 chamber? but the fact that it is now stamped 2 3/4means it has been modified correct?
    Good for shooter
    Bad for a collector
    It's definitely passed my bedtime I greatly appreciate your time and helping me figure this out I'll catch back up with you fellas tomorrow. Very interesting angles I'm learning I thought I was pretty decent on a A5. NOT!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That's correct. The gauge and chamber length is on all Auto-5 barrels since at least the 1920's, and probably earlier. On very early guns the chamber dimensions are given. Here's a view of one from 1924:
    [​IMG]

The 16 C in the diamond is a black powder proof. I think that went away in the late '20's.
  16. Looooong Day. Man how many more stamps can they get on those barrels......lol. I have some teens model 11s but no A5s that old to compare too. The blueing on the gun is sweet for its age.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks, that gun is a jewel.

I took another look at your auction. For some reason, the first time I only saw one picture. Now I see many. Download them to your computer while the page is still up.

Your gun is unusual because it was made in that short period after the change of the receiver legend to 'Browning' but before engraving became standard on U.S. imports.

It also has a Jostam recoil pad. I almost didn't buy my 1938 Sweet because it had one of those, but when the gun arrived I found that the pad was still as soft as when it was new. Jostam was an old company and S/V says their products were optional on the Auto-5. So the pad was probably installed by Browning in the States or possibly by the factory. I've grown to like mine.

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  18. Wow! Yippyhiyo! I actually noticed the Receiver engraving was different than any I could find. Ha ha I just didn't know why. Thanks again for your experience on the matter. I can't wait to get it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  19. All these years I have been hearing about the historian in Utah. Man he must be 100 yrs old. Would it be worth it to give him a ring to see what he has to say about this 16ga?
    Rob poston likes this.
  20. Thanks again for your time Rudolph.
    The Gun was sold in 1936 in OHIO for $36.14 it also is an original 3 shot.
    Per Lenny. No further info