I offer my apology.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Gentlemen, I apologize for not being very active for the last couple of months. Since I joined here several months ago, I visit every day, often several times a day. There is no other place to go for A5 information.

Please allow me to explain a little.
    First, it is 2020 after all..................As my hero Paul Harvey once said-"That says more than it says.".
    Secondly, I am going through a (self initiated) divorce. Luckily with none of the A5s being in the equation, just a bunch of time and headache involved. I (we) also lost custody of our grand daughter we were raising after our daughter died. In the last 7 months I went from a grandfather/acting father figure living with my wife, to a single grandfather, now living alone--except for the 115 pound GSD holding down couch.
    Probably the biggest reason is (was) several months ago I noticed flashes of light and huge "floaties" in one eye, then a few weeks later the other eye. I am not one that runs to the doctor whenever I get a ache or pain-but I knew this wasn't good. With my history of a brain-stem stroke years ago, I wasn't going to mess around.
    After a visit to an eye doctor (NOT one of those eyeglass vision centers!!) it was determined that I had a detached vitreous membrane in both eyes. Probably caused by "TMB". (Too Many Birthdays), but could also be caused by a basketball to the side to the head, car wrecks, etc. He said as long as what has already detached is all that is going to detach, things SHOULD pretty well re-attach within two months. If not, he could weld ( his words) things back together with a laser. He said I should avoid basketballs to the side to the head, car wrecks, etc--and just to be safe, shooting anything with any perceivable recoil. He also mentioned it isn't merely the felt recoil, but the atmospheric pressures standing nearby when a large gun lights off.(?) He did say more than likely, in a couple of months I will wake up and notice things are better and back to normal.
    So, I have had to keep my driving to an absolute minimum, looking at a TV or computer screen was tough due to the floaties clouding about half of my field of view. Things weren't blurry, they were cloudy- there is a difference.

That was then, this is now. I am glad to announce the A5s are no longer sentenced to sitting in the safes, teh various A5 projects in the shop are back to being fiddled with, future A5s are no longer exempt from my examination and probable purchase at gun shows (if they are ever going to have guns show again, but I digress....) and I am back up and running!!!

Don't mess around with your eyes.
    Ok, let's get back into this A5 thing..................................!!
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

bill- glad to hear your eyes are back to normal, very scary thing. No apology needed in my mind. divorce alone is enough to drive a man nuts, very stressful, I've been there and got the t-shirt. I don't mean to poop( that's what it is), on your party, but from my experience that word divorce don't mean its over. I've been out of my violet marriage for several years and just last night the fireworks started when I dropped my daughter back off with her mom. It does get better with time, but that old saying is cheaper to keep em, sure has meaning. So sorry to hear about your granddaughter, don't know how old she is, but I can promise she will figure out the truth, these kids are smart and you can't hide shit from them. Keep your head up, do what's right by her and she will come back for the love and support that you provided as her grandfather.
    murphranch likes this.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Ranger6, this happens to be my 7th divorce. I was married four time........(don't judge me, let ye who sins not cast the first stone.....) and my second wife filed for a "motion-to-modify" every three years until the kids turned 18. In the grand scheme of things, this one should go relatively easy. I constantly read on the forums I frequent about a guys wife's throwing a fit because they bought another gun, or they didn't buy the gun/pickup/whatever because she would throw a fit..... Over the decades I have found it is much much easier in the long run to simply get rid of the wife!!

My daughter died on 9/11/10, at age 22, exactly one month to the day after giving birth to her daughter. A few years later the biological father decided to gather 3 DUIs in a two month time frame, so he became a guest of the state for 7-12 years. We got custody then.
    He was released early, and seems to have gotten his act together. After he "settled down and grew up", he filed for custody and got it. I am ok with that, it was an eventuality. (I may or may not have had a Tony Soprano type sit-down with him.....just sayin'.) My grand daughter is 10 now. Her going to her dad's and me filing for divorce were within about a month of each other.
    Now, I am more like the stereotypical grandfather. I get to see her and spend the day with her about once every 3 weeks. You know, spoil them, etc.

And I am in the A5 buying mood. Pretty bad/good when I walk into a LGS and the guy behind the counter smiles and immediately heads over to the rack for an A5 he has.
    murphranch likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bill you make me laugh. Thank you for that. I needed it, I hate the arguments with the x about kids. Just be fair, put the kids up front and everything else will fall into place. And I’m not on my first either. My grand dad always told me keep a stash with money and guns that no woman knows about. Guess he had good reason and good advice. I’m glad you still get to see her, hopefully dad keeps his shit together for his daughter’s sake. If not I’m sure you will have no problem with an attitude adjustment.
    murphranch likes this.