Hull whore at it again

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well as Justin told me, I’m a hull whore( I agree). I am always looking for new hulls that I can pick up for free and turn them into killer clay target shells. I have found a new one, these are monarch 12 gauge( academy special). Originally these are like 5.49 a box. There are two different hulls, one smooth and one with ridges. The one with ridges is the one you want, smooth plastic are junk. These run 1 oz 1350 fps from academy. They are now loaded with 19 gr red dot, fed 209a, CB 6100-12 wad and 1 oz of shot. They should be about 1290fps and under 7000 psi. They were originally intended for old sxs, but will see if they cycle the Auto 5 and gold.

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I had originally started with this hull and 18 grains of titewad, federal 1 1/8 oz wad, cheddite primer,and 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot. The crimps were dished pretty bad and the only way I got decent crimps was to add 20 gauge nitro card in bottom of wad. Crimps looked good and they shot fine and broke clays, even the dished ones. They were around 1200 fps. If your still reading, these are not cheddite but Rio hulls. They are a little more roomy then cheddite which accounted for the dished crimps.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My club has tons of Rios laying around. Hopefully I have enough Rem and Win hulls to last me a lifetime.
  4. Ranger6

Justin, I probably do too, but its always good to have a back up, these things have good crimp memory and no one loads them so they are freebie for now