How do you shave?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Rob poston, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Technically, this isn't a knife, rather a razor question... but I just thought I would ask if anybody else likes to shave the old fashioned way, with a straight razor? While I have worn a full beard for over a year now, when I do shave, I prefer my Dovo razor and strop, a shaving brush and cake/mug, hot towel, and a splash of after shave. Nothing like it to get you going in the AM. So, has anybody else ever given the old "throat cutter" a try?
    20170916_234250.jpg 20170916_234411.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Whoa, Rob. I understand there's quite a learning curve to using a straight razor, with lots of blood and you go to work looking like you stuck your face in a Cuisinart. Did you go to barber school?
    Dennis Prewitt and Rob poston like this.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but not really all that bad. The funny thing is that I have only cut myself three times in my life shaving, and all three have been with a modern disposable blade razor. The main keys are a sharp razor and a steady hand. Once you get into straight shaving, you will find out how much your initial fears are unfounded (trust me, I had them, too).
    No on the barber school, I just got a straight razor and strop years ago and gave it a whirl. This was before Youtube, too. ;-)
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Solingen Germany Steel is some of the best in the world for holding an edge.

I've used a straight razor on occasion...even had the leather strop.

[​IMG]
    Rob poston likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I've always wanted to try a barber shave, but as for doing it myself, you can include me the $&@# out!
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Rob poston likes this.
  6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Totally agree... I love mine.
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Ha... I can totally understand, it can be intimidating at first.
    There is a barber shop here in the Knoxville area called Franks, that does the straight shave and hot towel facial. That is where I go to get my hair cut- pretty cool place. Very old school, they even give you a frosted mug of root beer while you wait.
    SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sounds like a great barber shop, Rob. If I ever get to Knoxville, I'll look for Frank's.
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Definitely... you will love it. I'll even buy you a shave.
    ripjack13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  10. Noturus

Noturus .410

I've used the old Gillette safety razor since 1968. That's what my dad used and said it was the best shave so I never looked back.
    I have a couple straight razors but haven't built up the courage to give the a try. I think you need someone to do it for you rather than trying to do it yourself.

Attached Files:

Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Coyote56

Coyote56 .410

Been using a straight razor for many years. Like most things it takes practice but the pros far outweigh the cons. 87E7032C-4242-4ED1-95B9-CFA84D4B4C73.jpeg
    EC359403-0560-4942-AC50-6100601DEA1D.jpeg