Help with A5 20 ga, 2 barrel set

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Diamond, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

Hello, I just purchased a LNIB (??) Browning A5, 20 ga, 3" mag, 2 barrel set that is supposed to be all original. It is in pretty nice condition for sure and has an original looking Browning case where everything goes. I am questioning the originality of things because the barrels are stamped differently. In detail...the receiver is stamped 69X32800 on the under side at the front where they are always stamped. There is no mention of the 3" ammo on the receiver, but not sure there should be. The one barrel has a pretty deep/dark bluing that is almost black. It is a 28" vent rib with almost no wear on it. On the right side of the barrel is stamped BROWNING AUTO 5, **SPECIAL STEEL 20 GA SHELLS 3" 28", BROWNING PATENTS. On the left side of the barrel is stamped BROWNING ARMS CO-MORGAN UTAH & MONTREAL PQ, MADE IN BELGIUM and then lots of little symbols towards the bottom rear of the barrel. Stamped under the barrel is X58743. The magazine ring attached to the barrel is very darkly blued and has a wide grove on the flat all the way around it. It has no holes drilled in it.

The second barrel is a 28" vent rib barrel and is of a bit lighter color of bluing that more matches the receiver bluing. The right side of this barrel has * SPECIAL STEEL-20 GUAGE-SHELLS 3". The left side of the barrel is stamped BROWNING ARMS CO ST LOUIS MO & MONTREAL PQ, MADE IN BELGIUM. It is stamped X31360 on the underside. Again lots of small symbols etc towards the bottom rear of the barrel. The mag ring attached to the barrel is not blued heavily at all and also has 3, aprox 3/8" holes drilled evenly around the circumference/flat of it.

My question of you Browning experts is...I bought this as a collector gun and want it to be all original. I can't believe that it is original with the barrels being as different as they are. I have a 3 day return so am asking for your help here. If it is not an original set, I do not wish to keep it. Thanks in advance for your help. Diamond
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

FN stopped matching the barrel and receiver numbers in 1953, and you have a 1969 gun. 1967 was the first year for the Magnum Twelve, and the "X" prefix is the code for this model (not to be confused with the same letter used on the 16 from 1948-53).

The barrel rings with lightening holes gave way to a "shaped ring" in the 1970's, so the perforated ring is probably the original. The St. Louis address changed to Morgan, Utah in 1969 but it's not unusual to see older features on transition year guns.

I'd say your Mag 12 is most likely all original with a later, additional barrel.
    Diamond likes this.
  3. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

Hello and thanks for the reply to my question about my Browning mag 20. My question is about the originality of the whole thing. If the set I have described was not a 2 barrel set originally, but put together at a later date and called a 2 barrel set, then it is not original, and I would not want it. I am a little suspicious that it was originally a two barrel set because of the differences in the stampings on the barrels, the different color of the bluing on the barrels, and the difference in the mag rings. When you say "is most likely all original with a later, additional barrel", are you saying that the receiver and the one barrel with the holes in the mag ring are probably original, but someone later added a second barrel and the case and it is now being called a two barrel set? I am a collector of original items. Would a seasoned and knowledgeable Browning collector buy this set as I have described and be happy calling it an original two barrel set?? I have about 24 hours left on my inspection period and your help is appreciated. Diamond
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, that's what I meant. The gun's original barrel has a full choke and someone later added a second barrel with a modified choke. I just checked and according to the S/V book the shaped ring appeared after 1972.

Whether this makes the gun less collectible I can't say. However, if you are going to collect Auto-5's, you will need a copy of this book:

http://www.fnbrowning.com/#!browning-auto-5-shotguns/ef7a2

One last thought. It's possible that the gun, second barrel, and case were purchased at the same time, or even ordered as a set. Just because the shotgun was manufactured in 1969 doesn't mean it was sold in that year. It easily could have languished in a warehouse for a few years and, when finally sold, came with an extra barrel with the later features.

A call to the Browning Historian is in order. He can give you the information for free over the phone, and if you like what you hear you can order a letter for $50. The historian's name is Lenny Rees and his number is 801-876-2711.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

Hello and thanks for helping me here. I called Browning as you suggested and was told by their man that, to his (3o years experience)knowledge, Browning never made a 20 ga mag, two barrel set. They made some regular 20 ga, 2 barrel sets, but not the magnum sets. So looks like someone has put this set together and trying to sell it as a 2 barrel set...not good in my opinion. Diamond
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It depends on your definition. If I order a shotgun with an extra barrel and a case, is it a 2 barrel set? Or does it have to come from the factory that way? Before 1953 the above order would have both barrels with serial numbers that match the receiver's. I would ask Lenny to research the original order. Here's an example of a Browning letter:

[​IMG]
  7. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

[/QUOTE]

If both barrels matched in stampings and configuration, I might not be bothered by this....but they don't. Diamond
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Obviously. They quit doing that in 1953. If I were you I'd take it back. You can still ask Lenny to research it for you. It will take a few days. If he says it was special ordered with an extra barrel in 1972 you could probably repurchase it.
  9. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

When I said "If both barrels matched in stampings and configuration, I might not be bothered by this" I was meaning that if the barrel stampings and the mag rings matched. As it is, they do not and it makes things look a little suspect from the get go. It would really be nice to have a 2 barrel set where all of the serial #'s match. Would love that. Thanks for the help. Diamond
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Then you'll have to look for a pre-1953 shotgun. And it won't be a 20 gauge, the Light Twenty appeared in 1958, the Magnum in 1967.

One other thing, when Browning shipped cased sets, the gun and case arrived separately. So even though you have the case, you should still have the box -- important to a serious collector.
  11. Diamond

Diamond Copper BB

I sent the whole thing back...to questionable and I don't need that at my age. I do love the A5's though. I have hunted with both the Belgium 12's and the mag 20's, and swear by them over any other shotgun. Thanks for the great help with this. Diamond