Early 1900's A5 value

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by bruceg, Jan 29, 2016.

1. bruceg

bruceg Copper BB

A co worker of mine is wanting some help valuing an old A5 that has been handed down to him.
    Serial # 8748. From what I gathered, this was made no earlier than around 1910 or so.
    It's a 12G and has typical wear these guns show on the receivers/barrel/stock, etc. This one doesn't appear to be a Belgian made one as it doesn't say it on the barrel or anything anywhere.
    What's ballpark value?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sounds like a Remington Autoloading Shotgun, which prior to 1911 is what the Remington Model 11 was called. If so it was an early gun -- maybe as early as 1905, the first year of production. However, Savage also made their version of the Auto-5, and your friends gun may be one of theirs.

Regardless, unless it's mint it's only worth $200-$300. Worth much more as a family heirloom, and will likely outlast several more generations of your friend's family.

Also, although it's Browning's design, it's not an Auto-5 unless it was made by or for FN or Browning Arms.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  3. bruceg

bruceg Copper BB

Interesting. The gun isn't in the greatest shape. It was never babied and the owner still hunts with it to this day. A friend of mine who is an avid Browning lover took a look and valued it around exactly what you said- $200-$400.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Bruce !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum !!
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

When asking a ballpark value here...it's always helpful to us if you include a few pictures of both sides of the gun and any inscriptions on the metal and wood.

Otherwise, you're asking for a ballpark guess.
  6. bruceg

bruceg Copper BB

Receiver just has all the decorative engraving and the "Browning" engraved on it. Barrel says something along the lines of Browning, St Louis, etc. Co worker just left for the day and took the gun back home so I don't have it hand any longer to get exact wording or pics.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

What? You didn't say that in your first post. Ignore everything in my first response.
  8. bruceg

bruceg Copper BB

Pics aren't great, but he took these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, it may look like it was made in 1910, but what you have is a run of the mill 1960's Auto-5. Above the serial number there should be a single digit and an "M". That digit will tell you the year, 1960-6.

EDIT: It should say "MADE IN BELGIUM" on the right side of the barrel. Value, $300 tops, $200 most likely as it has been very harshly used.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016