Dating my Grandfathers Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Presenter, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Presenter

Presenter Copper BB

From what I can tell on Browning's website, it is more or less a guess on when the shotgun was made if the serial # indicates it was made before WW2. My serial number is 16023 which seems to be pretty low, so I'm thinking this was made by FN around WW1, but I have no idea. Anyone have any insight on this?

Also, am I crazy for having a gunsmith repair the barrel where my grandfather put a bulge in the barrel by shooting it with snow in the barrel while on a hunt? I would like to use it for shooting trap, but don't want to hurt the value of a hundred year old classic shotgun. It is far from mint condition... bluing was probably worn off 50 years ago but the patina is beautiful imho and the stock has a few chips in it (nothing affecting usability).
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Presenter, and welcome to the forum.

Browning's website causes more confusion than it clears up. This site is infinitely better:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

A 12 gauge Auto-5 with a serial number of 16023 would have been made in 1905. BUT... If there is a letter preceding the serial number the gun would be from the 1950s. If there is a number and a letter the gun could have been made as late as 1967. If there are 2 digits before the letter as late as 1976. If the serial number appears on the side of the receiver, the gun was made by Remington for Browning during WWII.

I'd like to see a picture of your Auto-5.
  3. Presenter

Presenter Copper BB

Didn't even see the letter G until I took a pic and the glare made it stand out a bit. It has been almost completely worn off the receiver (which would indicate 1956). Here are some pics of the shotgun. I would like to keep it as original as possible since it is a family heirloom, but I would also like to make it functional which means the custom choke my grandfather installed might have to be removed. I enjoy shooting trap/skeet.

Pics:
    https://goo.gl/photos/FzYRsextBTJjmwGG8
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Presenter !!

Please take the time to introduce yourself to our community by posting in the New Member Welcome Area.

Enjoy the forum !!