CZ 83 cal. 9 mm Browning, Glossy Blue ?

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Paul Holland, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

CZ 83 cal. 9 mm Browning, Glossy Blue, (really looks black to me)
    This was in the guns I received from my father after he passed, It did not have a clip with it.
    Was just wondering is this a decent gun? Has thin plastic grips and is setup to be ambidextrous.
    safety on both sides. I know its a browning but top Bottom of the line, something special that I should not be regularly shooting? Any opinions out there Guys?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I haven't heard that the CZ83 is a Browning design, it seems more Walther inspired to me. It's a fine gun for the price, being large for caliber makes it easy to shoot. The "Polygonal" rifling is what made it interesting to me, the bore looks smooth but somehow still spins the bullet. The finish isn't blue, it's a plastic-like coating.

I have the CZ82, the same gun in 9x18 (9mm Makarov). This was the standard Warsaw Pact cartridge and is a little hotter than the .380 CZ83. Interestingly, the -82 is a C&R and came right to my door but I'd have had to go through a gun store to get the less effective .380.

A little large for a pocket pistol, the gun lives in my car as an expendable backup weapon. I'm sure you will enjoy shooting yours.
  3. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

so it is a 9mm? it sat Cal 9 on the barrel
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There are several 9mm cartridges, and they all have several names.

Usually when someone says "9mm", they mean 9mm Luger, the round adopted by the German Army in 1908. Also called 9mm Parabellum, the best description is 9x19, the second number being the case length. This cartridge replaced the .45 ACP in the U.S. in 1985.

The John Browning designed .380 ACP is also called 9mm Kurz (short) or 9x17. This round has become wildly popular due to widespread concealed carry legislation.

The 9x18 I've already discussed. There is also the 9x23, which may or may not be the same as the Browning 9mm Largo. The important thing is that you get the correct ammo for your gun. If you are not familiar with handguns I respectfully urge you to get professional instruction before shooting or even loading your CZ.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

Browning CZ Mod 83 9mm.jpg Yep looks like a little home work is required, Thank you,, this is what I have found so far, Have a pic of it just cant post pics,

Well well guess it is a .380 acp, Which is also call a Browning 9mm short?

The CZ 83 is a compact all-steel semi-automatic handgun, designed on the blowback breech principle. They are produced with a classic rifled barrel in calibers 7.65 mm Browning (.32 Auto), and 9 mm Browning Short (.380 ACP), and with polygonal bore for the 9 mm Makarov. (7.65 Browning and 9mm Makarov available by special order only) The trigger mechanism is of a DA/SA type. The CZ 83 features an ambidextrous manual safety, magazine catch and slide stop on one side. When the last cartridge from the magazine has been fired, the slide is locked in its rear position. The magazine is of a double-column type with a single cartridge outlet. Due to its favorable caliber to weight ratio, reliability and compactness helps to facilitate the concealed carry of this pistol, thus predisposing it to become a popular sought-after handgun for personal defense. The pistol is supplied with 3 dot sights; tritium sights are available by special order.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Paul !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  7. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

OOOOPs thought I had
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A few more details about this gun. Unlike the similar Soviet Makarov, there is no decocking feature on this gun. The safety only works when the hammer is cocked, but I wouldn't carry it that way.

Disassembly is similar to the Walther/Makarov by pulling down the trigger guard and pulling the slide back and up over the barrel.

The CZ82 was the standard Czech sidearm when it was part of the "Evil Empire". The -83 was made for export.
  9. Paul Holland

Paul Holland .22LR

I need to get a clip for this gun, really want to work with it
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06