Cocking the hammer before working the lever

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by mnh2obuff, Dec 17, 2015.

1. mnh2obuff

mnh2obuff Copper BB

While I'm still waiting for Buds to send my .223 BLR I've been looking at the rifle on youtube. In one of the reviews, the reviewer would cock the hammer and then work the lever to eject and load another round. I this a common practice? Is is something I've never done with my Henry's. The only reason I could think of would be to not scratch the hammer with the bolt.
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I don't understand that. If you're chambering a new round, just operate the lever. Cocking the hammer is one of its functions. :)
    omahaoutdoors likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I have seen people I hunt with work the their lever action, which in turn cocks the hammer...then thumb the hammer down to carry.

When they see their quarry...they thumb the hammer back and shoot...a little more quiet than throwing the lever when the quarry is sighted.
    CaySea likes this.
  4. CaySea

CaySea .22LR

My BLR seemed to be sort of stiff when cycling the action. I sent it to Neil Jones for some trigger work, and mentioned the stiffness while speaking with him He polished a couple of areas and the action is smooth. Neil is definitely a craftsman.