Browning SA Take Down .22lr

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by sakodanny, Dec 10, 2012.

1. sakodanny

sakodanny Copper BB

Hi all Browning SA owners.
    I'm from the United Kingdom.
    I purchased a Belgium made Browning SA .22lr complete with leather sling, moderator and 6x40 Hawke scope. I love this little rifle to bits.
    The only problem I find is that it has a browning scope rail that is screwed to the barrel. Which for me with this scope there is very little eye relief, the scope is situated too far forward. This rifle also has dove tail grooves 11 mm. Would you recommend using the grooves, which would give me better eye relief, or buy a scope with more eye relief.
    I also have a Winchester 9422 which I also love.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Danny
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Danny,
    I assume you are using this dovetail mount?
    [​IMG]

I would use rings for the 3/8" dovetail which should buy you some fore and aft movement for eye relief.

I've had good luck with Redfield's or Weaver's on .22'S.

Redfield 3/8" rings
    [​IMG]

Weaver 3/8" rings
    [​IMG]
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey Danny, Welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! I agree with Setters, i use the redfield rings and they work great for me. you have any pics of your setup?

BTK
  4. sakodanny

sakodanny Copper BB

Many thanks,
    Yes the scope mounts that are in the photo are the same as I the ones fitted.
    The rifle also has grooves on the action.
    I will try to get some Redfields Mounts.
    What scope would you suggest.

Danny
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

If the receiver top is grooved for the dovetail mounts, I would opt for that solution with just a set of rings mated to your scope. The .22LR is at best reaching its limits at 100 yds., most people hunt up to 50 yds. with it. I like low-power magnification with a wide field of view. I have 2.5X and 4X scopes mounted on my .22's. They are fine for plinking or hunting small game. Some people put large variable scopes with huge objective bells on their .22's but my preference is mate the right scope to the rifle., that's also tasteful looking; like it belongs there. JMHO