Browning FN Safari

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Setters4life, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Anyone here own an old Browning FN Safari rifle?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not I....thinking about picking one up !?
  3. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Well, I would like to pick up another one someday. ;)

I presently have one that was made in 1959, chambered in .30-06. Being a fan of Mauser actions, particularly these bolt actions with their beefy extractor and controlled round feeding, I had to have one so I found one many years ago. I think the Browning FN is one of the finest actions made. I've seen a few in the last few years for sale, but the prices made my jaw drop. You don't see too many of these around.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...where's the pictures !?

I would love to see it.... :cool:
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Picture heavy:
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Some really nice pics...thanks !
  7. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Thanks.

I bought this many years ago, back in the mid-80's. It had a Lyman 2.5X scope with Weaver swing-away scope mounts at the time. I pulled them off, and mounted the scope and bases and rings I had from an Interarms Marx X I eventually sold. And then this rifle sat in the safe until I pulled it out in 2003 and finally shot it for the first time. (I always hunted with other rifles, I just never took this one out.) I'll save my pennies for a Leupold scope and eventually mount it on this rifle.
  8. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

very nice Setters!!!
  9. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Thanks.

The Browning FN action is very well made inside and out, has a polished bolt raceway and feed ramp like a custom rifle, good stock design and excellent trigger like the fabled pre-64 Win. M70. If you like a Mauser action with controlled-round feed, these are some of the best and are excellent values in a rifle if you come across one.

The only gripe I have is the previous owner removed the factory Browning rear sight and replaced it with a Williams. I may or may not try to bring it back to original. We'll see.
  10. Billythekid

Thanks for the insight setters. Hopefully I can add a browning fn to the collection down the road.
  11. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

This is my FN commercial which should be similar (9.3x62).

ATB,

Scrummy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Very nice Scrummy. And a great cartridge too!
  13. Billythekid

Very nice Browning FN Scrummy, I really like the finish on the gun.
  14. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

Nice setters! And you're right, the FN really does have the classic "Mauser" flag safety.

Here's a pic with my Woodsman and a Norwegian 100 year commemorative Brusletto as a "Classic" Hunting set-up:

[​IMG]
  15. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

I notice the special pouch for carrying the bolt. Is that standard practice?
  16. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

Where I'm from (The UK) and where I still do a lot of shooting, they like you to keep the bolt separate from the rifle/ammo. So, quite often if you are travelling you will leave rifle in the car and take the bolt with you.
  17. Billythekid

nice setup, what type of shooting do you use it for?
  18. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

The rifle is used for driven boar (I've had the rear sight block sympathetically changed out for an express V sight regulated for 285gr RWS at 50m).
  19. Billythekid

Nice, bet it works great for boar hunting.
  20. Scrumbag

Scrumbag .410

Oh yes, all good stuff!