Browning BPR Sight In and Ammo Report

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by Bruce, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Bruce

Bruce Copper BB

Here is a link to a report of sighting in my Browning 30-06 BPR's for the upcoming hunting season. I am very happy with the results I got from shooting some of the Federal 180 grain Fusion rounds.

http://forum.pumprifle.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Bruce !!

Nice report and great shootin' !!
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Looks pretty dialed in to me!! What is your method of sighting you guns in and what the distance that you normally test it at?
  4. Bruce

Bruce Copper BB

Billy,

I always use the best rest I can. In this case it was a Lead Sled. I start at 25 yards to get close and then I move out to 100 yards. I usually crank up the scope to near maximum power to zero in, but I always dial it back after I am thru to verify the setting. I demand at least 1 1/2" groups (100 yards) from my hunting ammo/rifle combination. It is very unusual to get this kind of accuracy from factory ammo, but I am not complaining.

Another thing I do is to only use the same Lot# of ammo for sighting in and hunting. If I change anything, I go back to the range and verify/adjust. I don't let my barrels get hot and I take my time with each shot.

I normally sight in about 1" high at 100 yards with the 30-06. Then, I can pretty much hold dead on at any distance I will encounter where I hunt.

Also, I make absolutely sure the rifle is rock steady when I am sighting in. I use the advantage of the rest and I have a very solid grip on the rifle. No wavering at all. If the cross hair is moving - I am doing something wrong and do not take the shot.

I also am not locked into any one brand or weight of ammo. I will try everything (ammo) I can (within reason) to find what my rifle likes best. To me, it is unusual to find one brand/weight that shoots so good from so many different rifles. I'm happy.
  5. Billythekid

Thanks for the info Bruce. I have a Mossberg 4x4 that i tend to use for the hunting season and need to bring her to the range to make sure she is still shooting straight. I definitely agree sticking with the same ammo you used to sight your rifle in, i have experienced some big variations when mixing ammo brands/grains.
  6. Maudite

Maudite Copper BB

I have a great BPR-22. Its a Grade II in 22 WMR.

[​IMG]

I have had it for several years but have not fired it or done much more than admire it. I am just amazed with the wood on it. Usually wood like this is graded and goes on exhibition guns. I think I got lucky with this one. I bought it used- for a great price. I wish the guy had saved the box!

M
  7. Billythekid

wow, your right that is a beautiful finish on the BPR-22. You dont see many like that anymore...