Browning 1911-380 Handgun troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Billythekid, Jun 29, 2015.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I really don't understand Browning's lack of QC....

They got to know there is a mag problem...almost everyone here has called them...some more than once.

Then these damn unions wonder why their good paying jobs go overseas....idiots !
  2. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

Update: The first round feed problem with a full mag was due to the mag.

Bought two from Cabela's (at usurious prices) that arrived yesterday. With the mag that came with the gun, the nose of the second round in the stack sits visibly lower than it does in the new mags. What apparently was happening with the original mag was that when the bottom of the firing block picked up the top of the back of the cartridge case as the slide moved forward, the front of the cartridge was nose diving to the point where it hung up on the barrel ramp. Can't do that with the newer mags.

Took the works to the range yesterday and ran 100 rounds with the new mags and no misfeeds or other problems (except the sights are problematic for my aging eyes). Gun ran fine.

Both of the "out of the box" problems I had with my gun would have been a lot easier to identify and deal with had Browning simply sold the gun with more than one mag. If my experience is in any way typical, the cost of including another mag would be easily offset by the reducing the number of RMAs they have to deal with as the result of feed problems.
  3. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

Browning is sending me another mag, no RMA required.
  4. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

Glat to hear you got most of the problems resolved (and a free mag like I did). Yes, those mags are problematic. While it is sort of ingenious how they use the spring for the slide lock, I agree that sometimes getting the base plate back on can be a PITA.

As for that ejector screw being ok to be loose, I am not buying it. If it backs out enough, it will start to hang and/or bind on the bottom of the slide. I finally got mine to stay put (for now), by really cleaning the hole and screw and using more blue locktite than I would have preferred. But so far it has been staying tight after about 500 rounds.

And on the plus side, I have not had any more of those nose up jams during those 500 rounds. I am feeling even more confident that the .305" feed lip has resolved that issue. Another 500 rounds or so, and I will consider it fixed. Too bad people have to fix something themselves that Browning should have figured out is a problem by now.

I really wish Browning would start selling parts for it. I would like to get a spare extractor and ejector so I can work on getting it to eject more to the right. Also, would like to get a spare mag release so I can get rid of that stupid mag disconnect nub. I know you can work around it by pushing in the mag release without a mag, but none of my guns have a mag disconnect and I would like to keep it that way.
  5. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

I don't disagree about the ejector, but whatever size tool it needs it is smaller than anything in the 89-piece Wheeler Engineering Genuine Made in China "Professional Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set" (as they call it). Must mean my gun is not a Professional. The set only goes down to 1/16. Is there such a thing as a 1/32 (0.031) hex driver? Or maybe 3/64. I can't even find a listing for one. I lightly scribed an index mark across the fastener/ejector plate and so far the fastener isn't clocking at all, it's just not tight. I'll keep an eye on it.

I have a question for you about the magazine feed lips. I'm sorta new to all this. When you are measuring the feed lips, exactly where on the top of the mag are you measuring? I'm assuming the .305 measurement is the inside dimension, is that correct?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate you comments. There's not a lot of information about these guns available and I'm a bit ignorant. Not at all like with my Kimbers...well, I'm still ignorant, but any question about them gets 9 contradictory answers, 34 unrelated criticisms of Kimber pistols in general and two "why didn't you buy a Colt/Glock?" questions.
  6. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

I'm not sure what size hex wrench it is, but like I said, one I had from a small laser sight adjuster fit.
    [​IMG]

As for the feed lips, I am measuring inside width at the front of the feed lip. Sorry for the crappy picture, but it was hard to hold multiple things at the same time.

[​IMG]
  7. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

Pics are perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. Now I _have_ to buy a digital micrometer. Damn...<g>. And thanks!
  8. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

And just to clarify how I am bending the feed lips, I am not squeezing the mag, but using those smooth jaw pliers to bend the lips inward/downward like this. Note: I normally put some tape over them first to help preserve the finish. The metal is extremely strong and it take a lot to bend them. But if anyone does it, just go slow and alternate the sides until you get it where you want. It's really just the very end that you want to try and bend.

Of course if one is not having any problems, then that is great and maybe best to leave well enough alone. However, there is really no downside to closing them up a bit

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

Good, perfect.

I have a feeling that in addition to the spacing of the feed lips (now that I know what they are), mag springs are going to be an issue. They feel pretty light right out of the box and I'm not sure what their service life is going to be, but I'll bet it's short. I wonder if they use the same springs in the 1911-380 mags they use in the 1911-22. They wouldn't do that, would they?

This is such a sweet little gun. It's a shame Browning didn't do a better job of engineering the magazines, but I'm sure it'll get sorted out in short order.

Thank you again for you help.
  10. roaddog

roaddog Copper BB

Could you use that indicator to measure the hex wrench?
  11. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

I measure 1.22 mm (0.048") across the flat sides.
  12. roaddog

roaddog Copper BB

Thanks!
  13. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Great Thread. Thanks to everyone who is posting . This is very helpful.
    danno962000 likes this.
  14. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

I hope the feed lip adjustment resolves it for you. I have not really had much time for shooting lately, but I have probably put another 150 rounds through mine since I last posted. So that puts me at about 650 rounds without any more jams or rounds randomly popping out.

FWIW, I had emailed them about getting parts (i.e. extractor, ejector, etc.) and they only gave me a phone number to call. So after the new year I am going to call and see if I can actually order any of these parts. I'm betting they will give me the same line about "due to high demand, blah, blah, blah".
  15. rbmorse

rbmorse .410

jjjmount, I've got about 500 rounds on mine and it has settled down very nicely. My wife will get an occasional misfeed on the sixth or seventh round in a mag, but I believe it's because she's limp-wristing her grip and letting too much recoil energy bleed off into her wrist. I use a fairly tight grip and haven't had any trouble with it.

The thing's just a gas to shoot. Everyone who has tried mine just loves it.
  16. Gil W

Gil W .410

As I mentioned on another thread, I have 4 mags that have been working fine for me. The three extra mags being bought through Bass Pro. We have discussed
    that I MAY have a later reworked version of the 1911-380 but who knows for sure, I don't.
    I finally bought a caliper and decided to take measurements of the feeder portion of the mags. I pushed the spring down on each and secured it with a narrow
    punch going through the second set of holes on the side of the mags. so here is what I got:

Mag #1 front .3185" rear .3820" Mag#2 front .3190" rear .3865" Mag #3 front .3215" rear .3860" Mag #4 front .3275" rear .3880"

front = front set of lips rear = rear set of lips

I have no idea at all which was the mag that shipped with the gun.
  17. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

I personally do not think this is a gun issue, but strictly a mag problem. I just don't see how any change in the gun would keep rounds from just popping out of the mag as several people have noted. Brand of ammo may play a factor in things too since it only takes a few thousandths of an inch to make a difference and some ammo may be a little "fatter" thus resulting in the same fit as closing the feed lips.

On that mag that measures .3275" in the front, if you load it up and with the rounds facing away from you, smack the mag into the palm of your other hand like this, do any rounds pop out? Before I adjusted the feed lips, the slightest tap would cause them to pop right out. Now they stay put like they should.

[​IMG]
  18. Jon Tanner

Jon Tanner Copper BB

I bought one last week. Gun store said he had two come in, I bought the second. Both were sold with in a week. I was surprised to even find one on the shelf. Still have not found any spare mags.
    I have run about 500 rounds through the gun, My daughter shot 100 of those. No problems.
    My older eyes had a problem with the front sight in the indoor gun range. I need a little more light or some white paint on it. Willing to hear suggestions?

I'm excited to find this forum. Was feeling like the only info I could find was the gun writers first reviews.
  19. Texas-Mark

Texas-Mark .22LR

I just used some white Testors paint on mine
    [​IMG]
  20. TRR

TRR .22LR

I have experienced similar issues with my new 1911-380. Rounds popping out of the ejection port, ftf's, and lack of a second madazine to test it. I sent to Brownins in Sept 2015 and received it back in November It did not have any feed problems, but it had many scratches in the slide from the gunsmith's vice. I sent it back to Browning. After many calls to their customer service center, I was told that they are replacing the pistol, and I'll be waiting until April to get my replacement.

Considering the price of this pistol, I am very disapointed. I was ok with the price, as Browning has a good reputation. Given a second chance, I would not purchase this pistol again.