Bornnaghi gold

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

It's been a while since I have posted in the reloading section so little information for those that would like to know. I know where the skeet gods were smiling today and that would be Texas. I was at a store today and stumbled upon some Bornnaghi 410 loads.
    [​IMG]
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

These are made under the Bornaghi name which is a Cheddite company. I always like to know what's inside so I was sure it would be a cheddite primer and a gualandi wad but was not expecting the wad that I found. Upon on closer inspection, I believe this is a Rio or Fiocchi hull, but the flash hole in the base wad is different. I have never seen a small hole in the base wad on the inside of the hull. I have compared several hulls, and none seem to be the same, but fiocchi are close. I'm not sure of the importance or if there is even one, but the pictures will show it. The cheddite primers are very loose and can be pushed in by hand.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  3. Ranger6

4. Ranger6

5. Ranger6

The following picture is of another 410 hull and the bornaghi gold. The bornaghi is on the right.
    [​IMG]
  6. Ranger6

The shot inside was of a silver color and possibly tin plated but smashed flat in a pair of needle nose., without much effort. All very round and consistent. It weighed 214.1 grains or .489oz. It had 14.1 grains of unicorn dust. The wad was a surprise as it is what BP calls the stump wad.
    [​IMG]
  7. Ranger6

According to BP; The Stump .410 is a shortened brush wad designed to enhance short range .410 patterns.
    Since the range of a .410 is short at best, a load with a quick-developing and fringe-dense pattern is often just what is needed. The Stump .410 has a tiny cup that captures only a small amount of shot. This captured shot becomes the core center density while the remainder is the expanding ring of the pattern. In other words, this wad is a skeet shooter's dream.

I will report back if these are a skeet shooter's dream. I have not reloaded any of these hulls, nor used the stump wad but depending on my trial run it may be one of my favorite loads.
  8. Ranger6

I have added some loads from BP small bore manual that uses the stump wad. Please use at your own risk, as I have not loaded or tested any of these loads. Also be warned, the stack height may work and it may not.
    [​IMG]
  9. Ranger6

10. Ranger6

If anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks, Ranger6
  11. Ranger6

Couple more pictures that I forgot to include:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Ranger6

Little update on the bornnaghi gold. I like them and they have performed flawlessly for the quick two rounds between the downpour of rain. They break skeet targets better than any loads thus far. So more to follow on pattern test and running them over the chrono. The box states 1300 fps. There are various opinions on what speed to run 410 loads as to what provides the best pattern. I will say you need to pattern the loads you will shoot, and the results should be obvious. Some that I have patterned work great at 1200 and some better at 1330.
  13. Ranger6

I didn't pay attention to the fired hulls until this afternoon, when I set down to reload a few to run over the chrono. I would guess that 30 out of the 50 were junk and not reloadable. I have never seen a hull in such bad shape after the first fire. Some of them came out great, but most like the picture below.

[​IMG]
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Keeman also uses the same stump style wad in their factory 410 stuff. It was also hard on the shell mouth but not like this. The wad being thicker plastic and no fingers travel way further distance wise down field with lot more power.
    You may come across this patterning like I did putting a magnum hole through your cardboard target!
    Very interesting
  15. Ranger6

I will hopefully be shooting some more, and some pattern test. I have some that a buddy gave me that look good. They were shot out of a yildiz. I was wondering if maybe it’s the skb? I will try some in the citori, but none of the other shells look like that out of the skb. I loaded the stump wad in some federal and Troy hulls so time will tell. You could be on to something with the wad. Excellent point.
  16. Ranger6

Shot some more of the golds out of the citori today. The ends of the hull were not torn up as bad, but for the most part still damaged beyond all other hulls that are out there. I used the stump wad in the federal hull and a Troy hull and the loads look promising. More to follow.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

When you do get to pattern do some out your tri star v citori . Be interesting to see difference between the two with exact same load.
    That little 410 citori of yours by far throws the best 410 patterns I have ever witnessed
  18. Ranger6

yes sir, tomorrow may be the day according to the weather lady, slight overcast and no wind. I will for sure be comparing the two. I know about where the Tristar is and it should be a good match. Not sure it can throw better patterns then the citori, but should be acceptable.
    It was a fun practice day today. The wind was whipping up to 18 this morning so clay targets were doing crazy stuff. Squad of shooters shooting 12 and lots of cuss words. I managed to pull out 2 24's. Not bad I guess but shouldn't have missed. Of course, I missed the two easiest ones on station 1. Shoot over high house on both rounds. Rookie mistake and I know better, but it was fun watching those guys chase clays in the wind.
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That will be good to see a bit of head to head performance comparison . Certainly that little citori is the height bar on the goal post. Be good to see what the Tri star does and useful information. Not knowing what your gun is capable of is like driving car in third gear and never checking out fourth to see what happens.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Oh yeah nice shooting on the little gun in those conditions. H1 not to be underestimated or ever taken for granted. It can dive under the barrel real quick