BLR round ejection

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Dio, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dio

Dio .22LR

Recently purchased my 30-06 BLR (new). Given that I am a novice with a lever action rifle, I decided to practice with Tipton snap caps to become proficient with loading, triggering, and ejecting rounds. I'm experiencing multiple jams during practice sessions. It appears two rounds are being fed on some pulls and jamming the receiver. It's not happening every time, but more than enough to cause concern. I'm not babying the lever. Not sure what is causing the sporadic jams. I hope it is the snap caps or something I'm doing wrong which can easily be corrected, but concerned it may not be. Your experience with the BLR would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Make sure you look at the manual and "Lube" all the points suggested...

I'm pretty sure snap caps aren't meant to be cycled through a lever action...but I could be wrong.

I myself would lube it and cycle a few LIVE rounds through it outside...with the firearm pointed to the ground...using the utmost caution NOT to stick you finger in the trigger guard.

Report back with your findings...
    Dio likes this.
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

It could be the snap caps, or perhaps there's a magazine issue. Either could cause the symptom you describe. I'd look at the snap caps first, magazine second.
    Dio likes this.
  4. Dio

Dio .22LR

Shooter13 suggested lubrication per BLR manual and cycling actual rounds. I will know once I use real ammo. I think it's the snap caps. They are pretty light compared to actual bullets and may not be best choice for lever action rifles. The caps did serve their purpose despite the sporadic jams. I'm feeling more comfortable with loading and cycling procedures. Thanks for the feedback.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Keep us in the loop as to what happens with live rounds....AND BE CAREFUL !!
    Dio likes this.
  6. Dio

Dio .22LR

Finally got to a range and cycled approximately 35 rounds with only one chamber issue on my first attempt. Everything after was flawless. The BLR definitely does not like plastic snap caps and does not tolerate babying the lever action.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That is true with all lever actions...you have to throw that lever with authority !!

Glad it all worked out...
    Dio likes this.
  8. Dio

Dio .22LR

9. BLR Dude

BLR Dude Copper BB

I had the same issue with a .308 I bought 30 years ago. Some years after buying it I had some snap caps for a .308 bolt action I purchased and put them in the BLR. Same thing happened as you experienced. Years later I bought a BLR in .270 and it had similar results. It was the Snap Caps without a doubt. Along another line, the .308 is a shorter throw than the .270 and although the lever throw on both is sooo smooth, the .270 being a LA; on a long range day can cause a little soreness to the back of your fingers, especially if your really putting some speed to it and the authority mentioned. I wrapped mine with mink oil soaked leather. Worked pretty well. I always wondered why the rifleman always wore gloves. Chuck knew something.
    Dio likes this.
  10. Dio

Dio .22LR

BLR Dude, nice improvisation with the lever. I'm very happy with my 30-06. You obviously have many years of experience with the BLR. Any ideas about scope for it. I am so reluctant to put one on mine because I don't want my rifle to be cumbersome and heavy. To be honest, I like how it looks in its unmodified condition. If there is an option that is extremely low profile and doesn't alter the rifles look please let me know. I think the BLR is a beautiful rifle and performs well just as it is, but understand how optics can help. Thanks!
  11. BLR Dude

BLR Dude Copper BB

As I mentioned I've had my .308 for some time. I kept it bare bones for a few years maybe 4. At that time I hap- hazardously mounted a cheap Tasco scope of all things, using a see through scope mount that made the scope really high. For some reason I attract bears. One of my hunting partners who hunts bears wants to use me as bait -not. I wanted to be able to see the iron sights in case one snuck up on me close. I later placed a Redfield 3-9 revolution scope on it and I am very happy with it and I could go back to the standard 2" high at 100 yds. I'm happy with the Redfield and have 4 of them on other rifles. Have not had any problems with any of them. I used weaver mounts, their application chart makes it clear which ones to purchase. A 30-06 to me, just begs for a scope to get all you can get out of an excellent round.
    Dio likes this.
  12. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Sounds like a great rifle!

I run a glossy 3-9x40 Leupold VX-2 on my BLR (a 243 Win), in glossy Conetrol mounts so that it all matches quite well, finish-wise. It's a truly beautiful set of mounts, and makes for a great-looking, low-profile set-up. The mounts put the scope bell _just_ over the barrel and rear iron sight, so long as the sight is adjusted all the way down. If the Leupy didn't have a solid 4" of eye relief, I'd have to have used higher mounts or remove the sight. I didn't want to do that.

Conetrol's founder & owner died last year(?), but the family has the company up and running again. Give them a call if you want the finest mounts made.
  13. BLR Dude

BLR Dude Copper BB

Nice to know MZ5. There may be one more Browning in my life. BLR in 300 Win Mag, or 300WSM. Then again a BAR might be nice.