Barrel finish

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by cavmedic, Dec 27, 2016.

1. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I have a stainless steel BLR and right underneath the barrel band it seems like the finish has either scratched or chipped. I'm not interested in refinishing the barrel as the barrel band covers the scratch completely. However I don't want it to rust. Is there anything I can use to seal the the entire area? Something that using a few coats will not let it rust? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Wade66 likes this.
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I've not heard of the stainless BLR barrels having a 'coating' on them. The receiver is aluminum alloy with a coating or plating on it, but my understanding is that the barrels are just stainless steel. Anyway, assuming they _are_ just stainless steel, you don't need to 'seal' that scratch any more than you need to 'seal' the rest of the barrel. A very light coating of oil, like the rest of it, is all that will need.

If I'm wrong and Browning _does_ coat the stainless barrels, I'm sure someone will come along and tell us.
  3. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Ok, thank you. Upon taking it apart to put some tru oil on the inner part of the fore end, I looked at the barrel on the part with the barrel band over it and saw that it looks like it is all regular stainless and the chipping must have been some debris. The scratch look like a normal scratch on SS. It's like a blur in the shine. I can live with that. I'll just keep the proper things oiled.
    Wade66 likes this.
  4. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

By the way, anyone having issues with POI shift can do what I did. I took the forend off and sanded the inside just enough to float the barrel as much as possible (the locking lug prevents total floating). Then I took the barrel band off and used a dremel to create enough space on the inside to ensure the barrel band won't ever touch the barrel. My groups are roughly an inch with factory ammo and my POI doesn't change at all.
    Wade66 likes this.
  5. greenbrier1

greenbrier1 Copper BB

In a hidden spot you don't oil everyday, I use gungrease to coat a surface, Hoppe's, and Outers both make it.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.