Art’s French Red Filler

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 6, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Received theFrench Red filler from Art today and tried it on my train wreck stock set off EBay. I am pretty pleased with the color

[​IMG]
    Setters4life and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I forgot to take a before picture but this set would have been pretty light/blonde without the filler
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Six coats of a hand rubbed oil finish. Six more to go. It’s getting pretty shiny so I’ll need to knock the sheen down. Pores are filling in pretty well. It’s kind of interesting that it lost its brown tones and has more of a red color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Biz and Rudolph31 like this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Looks like a real close copy of older A5s!!!!! I am impressed.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice work Justin,
    Would you mind telling what kind of oil you used. Do you wipe off the excess that is not absorbed by the wood after the application? Are you going to use steel wool to dull the finish? In other to appreciate the real beauty of your work, may be you can take the picture on a white background. I am getting jealous!
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks guys.

Marc I like the Pro custom oil from Brownells.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../pro-custom-oil-gunstock-finish-prod5531.aspx

I don’t follow the instructions they provide I normally wet sand the first few coats and make a slurry to wipe across the grain to fill the pores. Since I used the filler from Art I moved straight to the oil. I put a little drop on and rub it in with my hands until it gets warm. At most there are six drops of oil per coat. Each drop is smaller than a pencil eraser. No wiping when I am done because there isn’t any excess oil. I never have to sand by doing it this way.

Depending on how it looks when I am done I might knock it down with rotten stone on a felt pad.

I will try to find a white background for the next set of pictures. I will show you a Tikka rifle stock I recently did that has amazing grain if you are interested.
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

I would love to see your Tikka stock. I find the colors closer to the reality when using white background doing pictures with my IPad.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not the place for this but here are the pictures of the Tikka stock I did. I bought it off eBay for $25 a few years ago. The dark stock is the original and it is how the one I refinished looked like before the make over. If it ever gets nice here I’ll do some outside photos so I have good light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Wow beautiful.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks wish I would have used the French red on it.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

That is beautiful Justin, congratulations. You finished it with the pro custom oil using the application method mentioned in the previous post? If the color I see on my screen is close to reality, I prefer it over the reddish tone.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes same application process. The color in the pictures is pretty accurate. So much glare from my lights.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Almost done. Still have to Clean up the checkering and apply finish to that. Possibly one more finish coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks awesome!
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Probably everyone has seen this video of Larry Potterfield repairing a Model 11 stock. But it’s worth another look. It reminds me that I don’t have the patience for such work.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sometimes I’ll easily have a month into a stock. I like to have a bunch going at once because when it comes time to finish it doesn’t take very long to apply a coat.