American Browning feed issue

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by dustinoif3, Jan 20, 2015.

1. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 Copper BB

Good afternoon gentlemen! Love the forum. Somewhat stumped on this failure. I picked up an old 1947 auto 5 in 20g last week. Took it out back last weekend and test fired. Went 2 rounds then locked up. Upon evaluation the bolt locks open and the shell is stuck between the feed gate and cartridge stop. Like stuck to the point i had to pry the shell forward back into the mag tube to clear it. Once cleared i loaded 3 more. Bang bang stoppage. I've got to other belgium 12's. A 54 heavy and a 72 light and recently installed a cartridge stop in the 72 due to it kicking two shells into the reciever but this 20g is doing the complete opposite. It's got to be something somewhat simple i just can't wrap my head around it currently. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum dustinoif3 !!

I would clear the firearm...field strip it and lube it in the essential places...then try her afield again, maybe with a different brand of ammo !!

Let us know how you make out...
  3. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 Copper BB

Thank you shooter13! Will report back
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK...standing by !!
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

6. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 Copper BB

Thank you for the link! Yes the shell is stopped by the cartridge stop and the carrier is pressing up binding it. It's odd because i can load a couple in the mag with the bolt closed. Retract the bolt at it kicks the shell into the reciever. Let bolt ride home then fire the shot. After the shot the bolt locks open and the shell is wedged. I haven't fully disassemble to clean yet. Time as of late has been limited. I plan to start looking through that manual now though.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You might want to watch these videos of Art's.

http://artsgunshop.com

In one of them he mentions that as the Shell Stop wears it no longer goes flush when the barrel is forward. He put it in a vise and smacked it with a hammer. Art is the guy to send it to if you can't fix it yourself.

Good luck!
  8. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 Copper BB

Hahaha! Sounds like art and i would get along just fine. Thanks for the link!